OS X Quick keyboard create/edit

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

czuch
    Participant

Hi there,

I was wondering if it would be possible to enable a quick cycle of add/duplicate, edit using keyboard only.

Currently this only works when using single-column view and command-n (add new record) but it does not really work when in multi-column view or when using command-d (duplicate).

I believe that ideally one should be able to use tab or enter to switch between fields, fill them in and quickly move to creating or duplicating a new record without having to use the mouse.

Thanks in advance!

czuch

February 10, 2014 at 3:47 AM #8995

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Czuch,

I agree, this should be possible. The menu commands are generally enabled only when certain objects have focus. For example, if you click in a row in the multi-column list view, you’ll see the Duplicate Record command become enabled.

Thanks,

Brendan

February 18, 2014 at 5:47 PM #9063

czuch
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

Thanks for your reply.

Ideally what I’m looking for is that for forms that are text-only like mine, that one can simply visualise them as a spreadsheet-type of grid and move with the cursors around, create new entries simply by going to the next row below (or pressing enter), etc.

As another Bento refugee that appreciates your work this is something that Bento did very well in my opinion, for text-based forms.

See attached screenshot for a Bento view of example entries filled with single letters as an example.

Thanks again,

czuch

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    February 19, 2014 at 1:37 AM #9066

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Czuch,

Yes, this is a useful type of control to have in an app like Tap Forms. I actually have an open source version of that control, but it’s far from where it needs to be in order to support everything that is in the regular NSTableView that I’m currently using. I have been working on bringing it up to speed gradually over time. I do hope one day I’ll get it to where I can actually use it in Tap Forms. But until then I’m going to have to keep using the NSTableView.

The other control I’m working on in my “spare” time is called MBTableGrid:

https://github.com/brendand/mbtablegrid

Currently it doesn’t support:

* Sorting of columns by clicking in the column header
    * Checkboxes
    * Popups
    * Images

So I’ll have to add those things before it can be useful to Tap Forms. I have added support for keyboard navigation to it and I also worked on column resizing. It previously didn’t let you resize any of the columns even. Fortunately now it does.

Thanks!

Brendan

February 21, 2014 at 6:50 AM #9129

czuch
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

Browsed your github repo, code looks nice! I’m not an ObjC expert but have used it a bit in the past (embedded firmware developer here).

Thanks for the update, it’s great news for users like me.

It’s a pleasure to use an app like this, with people like you contributing to github and being so reactive to user requests.

czuch

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.