Numbering records?

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

tonyt
    Participant

Me again,
    Is it possible to number records retrospectively. I have a form with over 1000 records I want to number consecutively. I can get new records to number OK, but want new records to take a number after the existing records.
    Cheers
    tony

January 9, 2014 at 4:45 PM #8657

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Tony,

There’s no bulk editing functions in Tap Forms. But you could always export your records, then set the values as you want them to be in something like Excel or Numbers and then re-import them into the same form. Make sure you export Record IDs. When you import into the same form, Tap Forms will perform an update instead of an insertion of the data if the Record IDs match.

Thanks!

Brendan

January 10, 2014 at 3:31 AM #8658

Leo
    Participant

Also, make use of the auto increment feature of the number field. Make sure the number to start with is the next in line. From there on it works like a charm.

Leo

January 10, 2014 at 10:50 AM #8660

tonyt
    Participant

Thanks both – SORTED. Now…
    Is it possible to renumber records where some have been deleted and so the record numbers are not sequential ( Without exporting / renumbering / importing !! )???
    I have been trying to build a formula but every time I try to use SQUARE brackets in the formula box – TF CRASHES!!!
    I am not good with this side of things so any help much appreciated.
    Cheers
    tony

January 10, 2014 at 12:54 PM #8661

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Tony,

There’s no way to renumber your record values.

I was unaware of a crash when using square brackets. I’ll fix that. However, square brackets are not a valid mathematical expression. So you can’t use them. You’ll need to use parentheses instead

e.g. ($now – Current Date) / 365.25 / 24 / 60 / 60

Sometimes when you see me put in square brackets in a formula it’s just to indicate that those are fields that you must put into your formula. Just click on a field and then click on the right arrow to have that field inserted into the formula.

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.