"Number"-type field empty?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

thelee
    Participant

New user, just migrated all my Bento data (plus photos!) to TapForms. For the most part, a good drop-in replacement. But I have one weird issue I'm not sure how to resolve.

One of the libraries I transferred over was a collection of recipes. I had 3 fields in Bento – Servings, Calories, and Ready In. Aside from “Ready In” they were all just simple text fields.

The library imported just fine into TapForms as Text Fields, but now I want to change the Servings/Calories into a Number field – however every time I do the field change, the field just goes completely blank. Fortunately the data is still there, so switching it back to Text gets the information back. Is there anyway to do the conversion cleanly? As far as I can tell, every single entry in my recipes for Servings/Calories are numeric, so I’m trying to figure out otherwise why the data disappears when it’s a “Number” field instead of a “Text” field.

October 2, 2013 at 12:13 PM #6835

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Thelee,

Tap Forms stores number data and text data in different columns in the database. So that’s why when you switch from one type to the other you see the data disappear and then re-appear when switching back.

To avoid this, just set the field type correctly during the import process. On the Import Records screen (Mac version), you are able to set the field types before you do the import. I would recommend doing that before you import your data. So set your fields that contain numeric data to Number before you click the Import button.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.