Note vs Text

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Glen Forister
    Participant

You define “Note” field = large amounts of text. .

You define “Text” field = movie title or short description.

I imported from another DB as CSV file and notice that some records in the “Text” field contain a fair amount of text, much more than “movie title or short description”.

I wonder how many characters a Text field can contain before it doesn’t work anymore.   So, should I convert many of my Text fields to Note fields because they have much more than “short description”?

The downside of using the Note field a lot where a Text field would suffice would increase the size of the database considerably I would assume.  So, the question about how many characters is a valid question and an important one.  Other databases do define this information in character numbers allowed before it is chopped off.

November 13, 2023 at 1:28 AM #50121

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Glen,

There’s no real practical limit to the number of characters you can store in a Note or a Text field.

If you enable the “Plain Text Note” option, Tap Forms will only store the plain text without formatting. Note fields give you more area to view and edit your text. But other than that, both Text and Note fields can store the same amount of information. I believe the actual limit (although not a very practical limit as it’s too huge) is about 1 GB of data per field.

So really it’s just how much space do you want to view and edit your content is the main choice between Note and Text, as long as you don’t care about fonts, styles and font sizes. If you do, then a Note field is what you would need.

Thanks,

Brendan

November 13, 2023 at 9:55 AM #50125

Glen Forister
    Participant

Interesting.  OK.

One thing advantageous to Text Fields is the ability to edit without having to open an editing window and having to save it and close  before moving on.

Thanks.

November 13, 2023 at 10:58 AM #50126

Brendan
    Keymaster

You can get a similar interface on a custom layout in the Mac version. Just a box where you can type into and when you click outside the box, Tap Forms saves the content.

November 13, 2023 at 11:08 AM #50128

Glen Forister
    Participant

So far the layout of the TF windows has been ok and I have not wanted to spend the time to create custom layouts.  Maybe I’ll have to spend the time to learn that some day.

Thanks for that information though.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.