New Version

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Andrew Mead
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

Are you able to give us any pieces of info as to what the new version your working on will have in it, or at least planned to have in it, and what is your eta, albeit understanding that it will take as long as it needs to take

Andrew

January 29, 2016 at 6:53 PM #15784

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Andrew,

The big thing is a new sync system including peer-to-peer syncing without a cloud account if you like. Sync will be nearly real-time. Make a change on one device and very often by the time you look over at your other device, the change has been made there already.

Also being able to handle forms with many more records than right now. Currently I have a test form with over 117,000 records in it. Takes about 5 – 7 seconds to load up on my iPhone 6s. A 19,000 record form takes about 1.5 – 2 seconds to display on my iPhone 6s.

A bunch of other features too, but I’m not going to go into details on those. Gotta leave something unopened under the tree :-)

I’m still about 4 months out. Haven’t even sent the iOS version out for beta testing yet. A few people are beta testing the Mac version for me right now.

Thanks!

Brendan

January 29, 2016 at 7:03 PM #15786

Andrew Mead
    Participant

Thanks Brendan

One more question if I may. Will the new version be able to read the old sqlite database or will we need to export form the old and import into the new ?

Cheers

Andrew

January 29, 2016 at 7:20 PM #15787

Brendan
    Keymaster

You will make a backup of your data using the Backup function, then use the Migrate function in the new version.

January 30, 2016 at 5:06 PM #15801

Andrew Mead
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

will the new version still be a sqlite database

Thanks

Andrew

January 31, 2016 at 8:45 AM #15808

Cliff Tarrance
    Participant

Brendan, the new sync sounds really great! I’m looking forward to that.

Thanks, Cliff

January 31, 2016 at 7:43 PM #15826

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Andrew,

Possibly. I haven’t yet decided which way I’m going to go with the back-end database engine. I have two choices. I can go with SQLite/SQLCipher, or ForestDB. Either way it’s just a switch to pick one or the other. No code changes. Right now I’ve been developing it with SQLite because there are tools that let me view the contents of the database more easily than with ForestDB. The benefit of ForestDB is improved performance over SQLite plus the ability to perform multiple concurrent reads.

In either case, the overlying structure is that of a NoSQL database where the data is stored as JSON documents and queries are pre-generated. In Tap Forms land what that means is when you create a Saved Search or have records in your form, Couchbase will generate a special index that holds just that information, so when you fetch from the form or display the results of the saved search, the data is already filtered so the engine doesn’t have to do any complex filtering. It just fetches the raw data because it already matches the criteria specified. It’s really quite clever actually.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.