Need to pass a field value as a variable

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Eric Bishop
    Participant

Is there any way to pass one field value as a variable and have this be recognized inside another field?

What I am specifically looking to do is have an id field be used as a variable that can be passed to a URL/Web field as a variable. So the url could use that value as part of it’s own value:

id field: 505
    url field: http://example.com/id=\[id field value here]

March 15, 2015 at 8:11 PM #13161

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Eric,

You could do that with a Calculation field with the Result Type set to Text. But the only trouble is it wouldn’t behave as a link like you probably want. It would just be a calculation field which concatenates text values together from different fields.

http://example.com/id=” + [ID Field]

Thanks!

Brendan

March 16, 2015 at 7:35 AM #13165

Eric Bishop
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Brendan. Yes, I would need it to behave like a link. Is there anyway to make this work? Could it be added as a feature request?

March 16, 2015 at 10:25 PM #13171

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Eric,

I could possibly add something to the Website field type which would parse the URL looking for some sort of tag and then trying to find a value in another field to substitute in there. I guess I have to find something that can never be in a valid URL that can be used to allow you to provide a reference to another field in the form. Because I wouldn’t want to interfere with any customers who have valid URLs with whatever sequence of characters I would select to provide the ability to substitute with a field value.

Thanks,

Brendan

March 27, 2015 at 12:12 PM #13225

Keith Ashbey
    Participant

I would also find this useful. I have a plant database and would like to pass a plant name value from one field into partially complete URL fields which would then do a web or image Google search.

Thanks, Keith

March 28, 2015 at 2:02 PM #13226

Brendan
    Keymaster

This will be available in the next update. See attachment.

The example in the attachment would generate the following URL:

https://www.tapforms.com/support.html

Brendan

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    March 28, 2015 at 7:27 PM #13229

Eric Bishop
    Participant

This is fantastic news! When will the next update be released?

Do you have a tip jar anywhere?

Eric

March 28, 2015 at 11:21 PM #13231

Brendan
    Keymaster

I’m hoping to get it released to Apple for review towards the middle to the end of April.

No tips required. It took me all of about 30 minutes to build.

However, I’d love it if you wanted to beta test it for me.

If so, email me your Mac’s hardware UUID.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.