Music DB

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

gabe406
    Participant

New member here but a long time TapForms customer. I searched the forums and Google for a little but and could not really find exactly the information I was looking for so I am hoping that someone might be able to help. I was wondering if and how I could create a Music DB that would allow me to enter all the “albums” an artist made along witht he tracks and the ability to list thos items I have already purchased or need to purchase. Basically looking for a DB design that would have 3 major tables: Artists, Albums, and tracks (songs). Going further it would be cool if I could lookup a song and have it reference what album it came from. Would this be too from TapForms or am I making it more complicated?

Feedback welcome.

Gabe

September 19, 2012 at 10:34 AM #5403

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Gabe,

This is certainly possible with Tap Forms. Except for the tap a song and view which album it came from. I still need to add inverse relationships to make that possible. You’d have to manually link to the album for each song, which would be quite cumbersome. Adding an inverse relationship is on my to-do list.

Really all you need are 3 forms with the fields you want, then add a Link to Form field type to your Artists form which links to the Albums form. Then from the Albums form, add a Link to Form field type to the Songs form. That should do it.

Thanks!

Brendan

September 19, 2012 at 2:03 PM #5404

gabe406
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. That is exactly what I was looking for. The inverse relationships would be nice but this will work good for me. I am trying to get everything into TapForms because they way I see it, TapForms could replace a lot of seperate apps that I have or even need to get. I really like the ease of use of TapForms along with the power. I am looking at your excellent tutorial on the Trip Log to learn more about the links to forms. Anyway, I hope to get this done very soon. Thanks again.

September 20, 2012 at 6:02 AM #5405

gabe406
    Participant

I listened to your idea and so here is what I did:
    Music Form
    Artist(F)
    Album(L)<—————–+
    ************* |
    Album Form<—————+ |
    Album(F)
    Puchased (check mark)(F)
    Year(F)
    Songs(L)<—————–+
    ************* |
    Songs Form<—————+ |
    Song(F)

I linked the Album field to the Albums Form. Then linked the Songs field to the Songs form. Not bad at all and it works for me. It would be nice to be able to have all the data show on one form yet this DB is exactly what works for me now. Thanks again for your help.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.