Multiple users and sync

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

LeoC2
    Participant

I’m at the point now where I’m ready to field test TF. It all works well at my desk on 2 iPhones, and iPad, and Mac. I can import data to a Mac database and analyze and display data easily. All is well and good… BUT…

You knew there would be a BUT didn’t you?

I will be asking my staff to install TF on their own IOS devices. They will buy it of course and I’ll reimburse them. The problem I foresee is how do I get all devices to sync if we all have different iCloud accounts?

In other threads there is mention of a future Dropbox sync or WiFi sync. These would be a very good thing and open TF to more corporate and small biz use. Another very useful means to sync may be beaming through Bluetooth, not single records, but a true sync. A sync that does not rely on internet access but just a local WiFi setup would be a Godsend! Any of these features on the very near horizon?

I’m thinking using export/import records with record ID? I could do this onto a Mac from all field devices but that doesn’t sync them together very well.

Another option is to turn on the Web server on each device and download exported files to the Mac.

A last option would be to buy several used iPod Touches or iPads but I really don’t want to spend that kind of money if I can avoid it.

So in the meantime what do you power users suggest? What is the best and easiest option to get all data to the Mac version so I can keep track of data in the field?

Leo

December 8, 2014 at 2:55 AM #12168

Brendan
    Keymaster

Without Internet access, your best bet is to export records with the Record IDs setting enabled then use the built-in web server on each device to download the files. Of course you’d have to setup an ad-hoc WiFi network but that’s easily done from a Mac.

WiFi sync is still something I’m planning on adding, but it’s not going to happen in the near term.

Some things in programming are simple to implement. Some things are excruciatingly difficult. Sync is one of those excruciatingly difficult things. As is having to deal with stupid SQLite limitations where you can’t drop or rename columns in a table. That’s what I’m dealing with right now. All towards my big performance update, which in and of itself is going to impact syncing in a very complex way. So… lots to do still.

Thanks,

Brendan

December 11, 2014 at 11:07 AM #12235

LeoC2
    Participant

What about syncing through Dropbox? If that could be done then we only need to set each device to access a particular folder on Dropbox and users don’t have access to anything else. I do this now with 2Do.

Leo

December 11, 2014 at 11:36 AM #12242

LeoC2
    Participant

I just had a brainstorm… maybe. Apple allows users to have more than one iCloud account. It’s a simple matter of going into preferences (Mac) or settings (IOS) and creating a secondary account.

Can’t we then set TF on all devices to sync with that secondary account? If so then users don’t have access to our main iCloud as the passwords are different.

Leo

December 12, 2014 at 2:59 AM #12268

Brendan
    Keymaster

It would be great if Apple allowed multiple iCloud accounts, but they don’t unfortunately.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.