Multiple Photos

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

HappyTapper
    Participant

Hi, is there a way to attach multiple photos to the first photo field? Or, do I have to create Photo 1, Photo 2, etc?

Thanks and awesome database, I’m just playing with the lite version at the moment but am very likely to purchase for the iPhone and iPad.

September 7, 2013 at 9:48 PM #6619

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi HappyTapper,

Tap Forms just stores a reference to 1 photo at a time in the Photo field, so you won’t be able to attach multiple photos to the same photo field. Yes, you’ll need to create Photo 1, Photo 2, etc.

Thanks,

Brendan

September 8, 2013 at 4:33 PM #6624

HappyTapper
    Participant

Thanks for the quick reply, it’s pretty much what I thought was the case. You may not realize it, but using photos on the iPad makes the database, very, very slow. Two to three minutes to get a checkmark field to update. Removing the photos from the records solves the problem. This does not happen on the iPhone. Photo sizes range from three to four MBs.

Also, it would be very useful to have the ability to scale and move the photo around when importing. Additionally, smaller resolution photos should not be scaled to take up the whole iPad screen when viewing them. Really impacts the quality of the photos.

Thanks and you definitely have the best designed iOS database out there. I just bought both the iPhone and iPad versions.

September 8, 2013 at 7:41 PM #6626

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi,

What kind of iPad do you have? I haven’t noticed any performance problems when having a photo and a checkmark field in the same form and tapping on the checkmark field to toggle it. I just tested that on my mini just to be sure.

Thanks!

Brendan

September 9, 2013 at 5:03 AM #6628

HappyTapper
    Participant

Hi, I have an iPad 3 with 64GB of RAM with about 4GB free. Have you tried multiple records? I had four with photos attached in fields called Pic 1, Pic 2 and Pic 3. Some records had all three fields filled and some just one or two.

I was saving the pics from Safari directly into the camera roll and had set my image search in Google to greater than 640 x 480.

I can try it again and mail you the database if you’re unable to reproduce the slowness. Not sure if the screen size makes a difference but the same records and photos on the iPhone did not cause any slowdowns at all.

Cheers

September 11, 2013 at 12:56 AM #6632

Brendan
    Keymaster

Yes, if you could please email me a backup then I can test with your data.

Thanks!

Brendan

September 22, 2013 at 4:34 PM #6725

HappyTapper
    Participant

OK, I’m going to setup the database again. Will let you know if I run into the same problem. Cheers

September 22, 2013 at 8:30 PM #6729

Brendan
    Keymaster

Does the same issue occur with the 3.5 version I released the other day?

September 23, 2013 at 10:44 AM #6736

HappyTapper
    Participant

I’ve only added four records but so far so good. I still think we need the ability to scale our photos so that low-res pics don’t get blown up to take the whole screen on the iPad for example. I’ll let you know if I run into the slowness issue again. Cheers

September 23, 2013 at 1:31 PM #6740

Brendan
    Keymaster

I had worked on that code a bit but had to revert it because it didn’t work out right. I was trying to make it so that low res photos didn’t scale up, but high res photos scaled down. I might give it another go later on.

October 3, 2013 at 10:24 AM #6845

Bill S
    Participant

To HappyTapper:
    My solution to the multiple photos in MyForm with only one field is to create a separate PhotoListForm (Title, Photo, Comments). Then I create a MyPhoto field in MyForm that is of Type – Linked List (many-to-many). Then you can populate the photos from either MyForm or from PhotoListForm (and go back to MyForm, select the checkmark, then select the photos from PhotoListForm).
    Hope this was clear enough.
    Bill

October 4, 2013 at 9:42 AM #6853

HappyTapper
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestion. It works but not in the way I’d like it to. I want my primary form to show the picture as soon as the record is selected. I haven’t been able to get your suggestion to work that way.

Cheers

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.