Most reliable syncing option

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Eddzo
    Participant

I love tap forms,
    But no matter what I’ve done, syncing has been an issue for me.

I created the form on the iMac, then load them onto the Iphone…
    I start using the form and build my databases,
    The consistent problem I’ve been having is images being on the phone but only 97% of them make it to the iMac or Ipad…

I’ve set it up so the images are resized to medium, but at 100%
    Sync the phone but nothing, delete forms then reload them over and over again…
    I must be doing something wrong or iCloud sync sucks,
    somethings not playing correctly because the iMac version becomes extremely sluggish.

Whats the most reliable way to sync?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    September 3, 2018 at 2:16 AM #30506

Brendan
    Keymaster

Try not to edit the record on the other device if the sync hasn’t fully completed and transferred all the images over to the other devices.

You could also disable iCloud sync on the device that has the images, then re-enable sync on that device. It should re-upload all the images and hopefully trigger the other devices to download the images.

You could also try one of the other 3 sync services if iCloud isn’t working properly for you. iCloud sync isn’t as quick as the other sync options and that may have a part to play in that.

September 3, 2018 at 9:50 PM #30535

Eddzo
    Participant

The app on the phone says “Sync Receiving (58)” for about 8hrs.
    I left it running all night.

Driving me nuts… lol
    I think this all started acting crazy when I copied and pasted a table I created in one of the forms.
    Like it was work on the Desktop, and would crash the app on the phone.

I really need all this data and its driving me nuts.

Also, I’ve tried to export the images, The iphone says I have 115 photos, but when I export them on the desktop there’s only 60.

What should I do?
    I love the app, I just don’t know what I’m doing to mess up the syncing.
    I constantly leave the form open at home on my wifi network to allow it to do its thing.
    Any suggestions?
    If I delete the file from the icloud all the data goes bye bye?

-Back up
    -Delete the icloud file
    -Reload it
    ???????

September 3, 2018 at 10:03 PM #30536

Brendan
    Keymaster

Tap Forms stores a local copy of the databases on your devices, so using the Delete from iCloud function won’t delete the data from your devices.

You could try disabling iCloud Sync on every device, then Delete from iCloud on one device, then remove the document on the devices where some data is missing. Then re-enable iCloud sync on that one device. Wait for it to finish uploading. Close the document, then re-open it again. It should do some more syncing. This time it’s downloading from iCloud.

Now, close the document and then use the Send Document function to send a copy of the document to your other devices.

Re-enable sync on each device, one at a time.

See if that stabilizes it for you.

And of course, making backups is a good idea too.

September 8, 2018 at 6:42 PM #30559

Eddzo
    Participant

Is it possible to load Apache CouchDB on my GoDaddy hosting account?

I created a MySql DB on goDaddy when I was trying to learn Web design, Could this be loaded on something like that?

September 8, 2018 at 11:45 PM #30566

Brendan
    Keymaster

MySQL is not compatible with CouchDB. I don’t know if GoDaddy supports CouchDB.

A customer of mine recently installed CouchDB on Amazon Web Services via the Bitnami.com installation service. They said due to the low traffic requirements, there wasn’t even a charge for it on AWS.

September 9, 2018 at 10:33 AM #30570

Karen
    Participant

I just wrote a (somewhat) lengthy reply on a thread about “Tap Forms–Broken” … basically, it was regarding the iCloud syncing issue (frustrating!).

I’ve been using ApacheCouchDB app (‘local server’/Macbook) … for awhile now and it’s been working great!
    ke

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.