Making Pretty Labels

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Colleen Easley
    Participant

I used the label function in Bento to make a club member directory in PDF format. I’m experimenting with Tap Forms and I think I can do it, but since I have the first name and last name in two separate fields, it’s hard to get them looking nice because it leaves a big space between the first and last name. Same thing with City, State Zip for mailing labels. The only solution I can think of is to make another field that combines those entries and to manually enter both the first and last name in that field. But that seems so cumbersome. Is there a better way?

November 5, 2014 at 8:39 PM #11624

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Colleen,

Yes, there is another way to do that. Version 3.0 added a new ability to the Calculation field type to enable you to concatenate text fields together. What you want to do is add a Calculation field, then click on the Formula button, set the Return Type to “Text”, then enter a formula such as:

[First Name] + ” ” + [Last Name]

Double-click on the field name on the left to get the First Name field into the formula. Don’t put square brackets in, that’s just for here so you know those are fields.

See attached screenshot.

Thanks!

Brendan

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    November 5, 2014 at 9:33 PM #11628

Colleen Easley
    Participant

Thanks, Brendan. But I must be doing something wrong. I wrote the formula, set it to return text, but all I get is a ‘0’ in my field.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    November 5, 2014 at 9:46 PM #11630

Colleen Easley
    Participant

I should add that it seems to work fine in list view and in the default layout, but any layout I design myself, including my label, is just showing 0.

November 6, 2014 at 3:18 AM #11633

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Colleen,

Oh doh! You’re right. And obviously not very useful for you right now with that problem. I actually just fixed that bug yesterday, so it will be working correctly in the 3.0.1 update which I will be sending to Apple for review this weekend.

Sorry about that.

Thanks,

Brendan

November 6, 2014 at 10:15 AM #11636

Colleen Easley
    Participant

Oh thank you, thank you! I spent a lot of time on this last night and thought I was going crazy. Glad you can fix it!

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.