Mac Version Beam? Share records bewteen Mac and iOS…

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Mac Version Beam? Share records bewteen Mac and iOS…

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Yogie
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

I would like to install the Tap Forms for Mac on our iMac, this iMac has a shared AppleID which is not used on our iOS devices for the iCloud (only the App Store and iTunes).

When I would create a Tap Form incl. records with photos and other files. Would I be able to transfer this Tap From incl. all records with photos and files from the Mac to an iOS device? The iOS devices already have content at Tap Forms!

What would be the best approach?

Is there a Beam option on the Mac version? Or is there the send by email option?

Can I export & import it?

What would be the best way to exchange data between two different iPhones having the same Tap Forms installed?
    So for example one user is creating a new record in a Tap Form on his iPhone and the other is doing the same on the same Tap Form on his device will the record ID for the new records be the same on each device but having different content? Can we beam the records or shall we email these?

What if the Form would store additional data in a linked form?

Sorry for so many questions again, but I try to find the best way of working with Tap Forms and fill the gap we have with different iCloud accounts and not having a sync option for multiple devices and a Mac…

Cheers and thank you for your patience.
    Yogie

September 1, 2013 at 5:03 PM #6577

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Yogi,

That’s a lot of questions :-)

To transfer your records from Mac to an iOS device, email the records to the iOS device (or use Dropbox to transfer the file), then import the records. To get the photos into there, use the FTP server along with Cyberduck on your Mac to upload the photos into the Photos folder.

There’s no beam option on the Mac.

You can use the File menu to Export Records, then save your CSV file to your computer. Just use Apple’s Mail app (or whatever mail app you use) to email the file to your iOS device.

If you enable Export Record IDs and email the CSV file to another device, they will essentially have the same records that you have. I would recommend emailing the form template file to them first and then they would import the CSV into the existing form instead of letting Tap Forms create a new form on import.

If you’re importing data from linked forms, make sure you have Export Record IDs turned on, then email the parent form’s template to the other device. That will include all linked forms. There’s no need to email separately the linked forms.

Then, import the CSV file into the parent form first. Then import separately into the child forms. This can be done directly to the child forms and doesn’t have to be done via the parent form’s link to form fields.

Thanks,

Brendan

September 2, 2013 at 7:31 AM #6579

Yogie
    Participant

Hi Brandan,

many thanks for your answers, I was able to bring the form, records and images to my iOS devices.

There is just one thing left out, I do have a form that also has attachments like PDF files. Where do I have to store the files on the iOS device to be able to open the PDF’s from the associated records? Well for the photo’s that was easy there is a Photos folder, but regardless where I put the attachments they are not found from the records…? Or do I have to close Tap Forms in between to get the files read?

Many thanks again!
    Yogie

September 2, 2013 at 11:27 AM #6580

Yogie
    Participant

I have resolved this … :-D

Files have to be stored in Share\Attachments\<file>

on an iOS devices!

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.