Locking Forms/Records (not) working?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Eddy
    Participant

Hello to everyone!

I am new with tabforms and may act a little bit stupid, so sorry in advance.

As I understand it, with some checkboxes in the form-editing-window (left tab, scroll down complete) I could lock a table/form, so that records cannot be deleted, changed etc. any more. But, whatever checkboxes I check, I have no effect. Even with all the checkboxes checked, I can delete records. So, what the hell do I make wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Eddy

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    October 25, 2019 at 11:41 AM #37372

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Eddy,

The checkmarks there mean you CAN do those things. So since you have them all checked, it means you can still do those things. If you want to prevent deleting a record, then uncheck the Delete Records option

You need to turn them off to prevent doing those things. Plus you have to have the lock on.

Thanks!

Brendan

October 25, 2019 at 11:42 AM #37373

Brendan
    Keymaster

Also, I still need to update the online documentation with instructions on how to use that feature. Sorry for the delay with that.

October 25, 2019 at 12:01 PM #37380

Eddy
    Participant

Ohhh, ups… sometimes I am so blind!

Now I see.

But unfortunately it does not work complete save for me.

If a form is related to another form, you can create, manipulate and even delete the records in the form, that you have locked, via the other form.

Or am I so stupid to do something else wrong?

Regards, Eddy

October 25, 2019 at 4:20 PM #37387

Brendan
    Keymaster

No, that’s probably my issue because the locking right now works just on the form you’re currently working with. Not that form as a child form. I’ll have to work on that.

October 25, 2019 at 10:54 PM #37396

Eddy
    Participant

Thank you for not leaving me in the stupid’s corner.

Regarding “your issue” I can only encourage you, to solve this. Because for a user, this is very important. One of the most worse risks in a database with connected records is, that you create or more worse manipulate or delete records in the connected table (form).

IDEA (1)

Did you thought about the option, that you just disable the the “+” and “-” button in the table, that occurs in the record to show the connected record/s of the related table/form? This would not prevent changing entries, but at least creating and deleting new entries. (OK, to prevent deleting even way to mark and delete bei keyboard would have to be disabled.)

IDEA (2)

You have made that great tool for picklists. This would be in a lot of cases exactly, what the user needs, if it should be only aloud to combine/connect records. Till now the picklist creates not a relation, it just copy the values (what for a lot of cases is a good way). But why not giving the picklist tool an additional option to create a real relation?

Regards and thanks so far,

Eddy

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.