Link to Form question

Tagged: ,

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

djohnston
    Participant

I am creating forms on my iPad for our student talent show. The first form is all the acts in the show. Within that form I have a field that links to all the students that are in the act. This is set up as a one-to-many link. The problem I’m having is when I have a student in more than one act. I don’t want to create a 2nd form for that student and it doesn’t let me choose an existing student. I know that I could make it a many-to-many link and then I can choose students as many times as I want but it doesn’t work well for adding new students. It just adds a blank form that I can’t directly go to and enter the information. I have to go back to the students forms, find the blank form and enter the student’s information which is annoying to do when an act has multiple students. It seems like it didn’t use to work like that but I’m not for sure. So to make the many-to-many work I really need to create the student forms before I enter the act forms which is not my ideal way to enter the information.

Is it possible to do what I want with a one-to-many link?

April 3, 2014 at 9:56 PM #9632

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Dee,

No, I’m sorry. The definition of a one-to-many is that one record can link to many records, but those many records can only link back to that one record.

A many-to-many will let you do what you want.

However, you should be able to add a new student from the many-to-many select records popover that appears. I’ll look into it to see if something went wrong with that code.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.