Link a child form to 2 different parent forms

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Link a child form to 2 different parent forms

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Ron
    Participant

Mac 10.9.5
    Tap Forms 3.0

Is it possible to link a child form to 2 different parent forms? In testing it does not seem possible. If I display the linked parents in child record if I change the value of one of the parent records the other parent data disappears.

Ron

November 15, 2014 at 4:32 PM #11758

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Ron,

Each record in the database has one field to store the record’s parent field id and the record’s parent record id. So it’s not possible to have multiple parents in a one-to-many relationship, but it is with a many-to-many relationship.

Thanks,

Brendan

November 15, 2014 at 4:42 PM #11763

Ron
    Participant

Child Database
    Parent 1 Database
    Parent 2 Database

The child has a one to many relation to each of the parent databases. I would like to display info from both parent databases in the child database.

Ron

November 15, 2014 at 6:36 PM #11765

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Ron,

Hmm… I sounds like you have it backwards.

The child database is your parent database and your 2 parent databases sound like child databases. You should be able to do that if you have 2 one-to-many Link to Form fields that point to two different child forms.

Thanks,

Brendan

November 16, 2014 at 11:23 AM #11780

Ron
    Participant

Let’s try an example.

I travel often and I want to keep track of the trips I take and also the places I stay overnight. When traveling I often stay at the same motels overnight. Each trip will have many stops and each motel will have many stops.

Trip = One
    Motel = One
    Stops = Many

Each Stop can reference only one Trip and each Stop can reference only one Motel, but each Trip can reference many Stops and each Motel can reference many Stops.

So in the Trip database I can have a listing of all the Stops for that trip and in the Motel database I can have a listing of all the Stops for that Motel.

Ron

November 16, 2014 at 11:48 AM #11781

Leo
    Participant

Hi Ron,

this is only one parent: The trip Form

Use as

Trip parent, every trip is added in here, filter or sort as you like

Motel= Many, so you can choose the same mother on different trips, (be sure to set show reverse link)

Stops= Many, also show reverse link

This will do exactly what you want.

Every trip wil show the stops and motel (all you wanted)

Leo

November 16, 2014 at 1:45 PM #11782

Ron
    Participant

Not exactly, but it will work.

Thanks
    Ron

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.