iPhone version of Tap Forms disappeared

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Carol Moncrief
    Participant

I updated my iPhone with IOS 9 and now my Tap Forms app no longer appears on my iPhone 6S. I went to Apps store to download again and it doesn’t seem to recognize my previous purchase and will charge me again. Ian I missing something here?

Thanks!

September 28, 2015 at 5:54 PM #14723

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Carol,

Did you make a backup of your old iPhone before you upgraded to your iPhone 6S? You should use the Restore from Backup function in iTunes to restore all your apps and their data.

You may have purchased Tap Forms using a different Apple ID than you’re using now perhaps?

Either that or you had the “Tap Forms Lite” version and you’re trying to download the regular “Tap Forms” version. If you previously had the “Tap Forms LT” version on your iPhone, you’ll need to download that version instead and then use the “Restore Purchase” function in the Tools area within the “Purchase Full Version” function.

Thanks,

Brendan

September 28, 2015 at 7:51 PM #14729

Carol Moncrief
    Participant

Yes, I did. But I just checked in iTunes and for some reason it didn’t install. I just installed it and it updated TapForms via the App Store. Not sure why the App Store didn’t recognize my previous purchase.

Thanks, Brendan

October 3, 2015 at 7:27 PM #14870

1Levite
    Participant

Adding another observation….sorry about the long ramble:

Something similar to Carol’s issue happened to me today. iOS 9.0.2 / TF 4.0.3 (338)

Just upgraded to 9.0.2 and also just got an iWatch so was messing around with TF on both devices. I happened to flip over to the app store, and the iOS App store showed TF for purchase (not download), which struck me as odd, since I’ve had the complete version for well over a year, and was using it at that instant. I pressed “buy” anyway to see what would happen, entered my (only) apple ID, and the app downloaded. No pop-up saying that I already had it. Not sure if I just paid again for the app, but if I did, just put the funds into the efficiency/speed upgrade kitty.

I then noticed that I now had two versions of TF on my phone: (1) a sparkling new TF icon with the 10 or so start-up record library appeared–just like when I bought it a year ago, and (2) a second TF icon in the usual TF place with my 13000+ records in it. Only now, the usual icon was labeled as the Lite version. I was able to add a dummy record, although it was shown as the lite version. Something amiss–a few more records than the 15 limit….a pretty heavyweight lite!

Knowing that I made a backup on my mac version yesterday, I deleted both apps from my phone, re-downloaded, and restored. I should have checked the “Lite” app version for the record before I did that, but I didn’t. All good now, but puzzling.

October 3, 2015 at 8:31 PM #14871

Carol Moncrief
    Participant

Got access to the database and removed the need for an encryption key.

Still cannot upgrade the iPhone app, although the App store says there is an upgrade to be downloaded. It doesn’t happen. The App Store now recognizes that I own the app.

Phone app searches for a “beam” but I cannot find anything in the online user guide that addresses a beam.

Somehow thru all this the phone finally did sync with the Mac, although the phone still shows 17 more records than the Mac.

I did have the Lite version on the Mac that I used when I first download Tap Forms. I upgraded and as far as I can tell, the Lite is no longer on the phone. I can verify in iTunes that it is not installed.

So what is the beam? Do I need it? Thanks!

October 3, 2015 at 9:18 PM #14872

1Levite
    Participant

Hi Carol:

There are a couple posts in the Forum regarding use of beam, if you want to get the detail. It is for “beaming” or transferring a single record or single form template to another iOS device that has TF installed. You may SEND a beamed record/form when you are in edit mode. The RECEIVING device makes itself discoverable through the Settings screen where the beam icon sits in the upper left.

If you have a need for that functionality, it’s pretty nifty. It’s not the tool to use if you’re trying to sync up all your libraries. Use the Dropbox or Cloud alternative.

Interestingly, after my little issue earlier tonight, the lite version of TF reappeared on my phone without explanation, and prompted for an encryption key. Like you, all the logical “keys” had no effect, and I have never encrypted TF on my mac, so there was nothing in keychain. I deleted the offending TF app again, pressing the screen harder this time for emphasis, and the “correct” version of TF kept chugging along as usual.

Once you get going and in a familiar workflow, I think you’ll find TF to be really stable and useful. Bummer you had the encryption thing, but I’m glad you worked through it.

Good luck.

October 4, 2015 at 10:39 AM #14885

Carol Moncrief
    Participant

Well, while I don’t enjoy anyone having a technical challenge, I’m glad to know I’m not the only one in this case. It kinda removes the fear of being the crazy one:-)

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.