Iphone version 4.02 stopped syncing over dropbox

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Iphone version 4.02 stopped syncing over dropbox

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Leo
    Participant

Brendan,

is it correct that the 4.02 version has stopped syncing over dropbox since I installed the ipad versions 4.03?

This seems to be the case.

I’ll try a reset sync.
    let you know

Leo

September 29, 2015 at 10:22 AM #14732

Leo
    Participant

Did a reset, and another, and another….

After 4 hours of resetting, turning sync off and on, switching from dropbox to iCloud and back. I got thing working again. Keep my fingers crossed.

BTW. Sync didn’t occur since 26 september from both (2) iPhones. It really was a selective stop!

Thanks, Leo

September 29, 2015 at 11:58 AM #14734

Brendan
    Keymaster

Well, just to ease your mind about sync, yesterday I got my new Couchbase version of Tap Forms syncing between two Macs. In near real-time. Make a change on one Mac, and a few seconds later the change shows up on the other Mac. It’s really cool.

However, there are some issues that I have to figure out now since it’s still in development. I managed to get into an infinite ping-pong syncing match between my Macs since the form I was testing had a Calculation field with a $now function in it.

Imagine this scenario:

1. Mac A displays a record, evaluates the calculation because it has $now in the formula and saves the result to the database.
    2. Mac A posts a notification to the network saying that it has just updated the database.
    3. Mac B who is listening for changes from Mac A connects to Mac A and pulls down the changes.
    4. Mac B gets new values from Mac A for the calculation fields in the database and then updates its display to show the new values.
    5. Mac B while displaying the new values must now evaluate the calculation field formula that has $now in it because some time has now passed.
    6. Mac B evaluates the result and saves it to the database, thus informing Mac A that there are new changes it must pull.
    7. Mac A pulls the data from Mac B and refreshes its display.
    8. Go back to step 1 and repeat the above forever :-)

I think the only way to prevent this is to stop automatically updating the calculation fields that have $now in them when a record is displayed. The user can still press the refresh button to trigger all the calculation fields to be updated. But it will prevent the ping-ponging of the syncing.

Anyway, that’s what I’m up to today. Haven’t even started migrating the iOS versions yet. I wanted to get the Mac version syncing to another Mac first before I started on iOS. I’m making good progress though.

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.