Importing Records

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Dante Knapp
    Participant

I am trying to import records to an existing form and it is only importing the final record from the csv file versus all of the records in the file; however, I am able to import the file from within the Tools UI and it will pull in all of the records as a new form entirely. Any ideas on why I am not able to import the records to the existing form?

Thanks!

October 5, 2020 at 3:23 PM #42139

Dante Knapp
    Participant

Never mind, I figured out what was causing the issue with the import records route.

October 5, 2020 at 7:22 PM #42141

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Dante,

What was the issue if you don’t mind me asking?

I’m glad you figured it out!

Thanks!

Brendan

October 6, 2020 at 8:11 AM #42149

Dante Knapp
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

I did an Export Records for the form I was using and then populated the appropriate fields in the csv file, but then when I was attempting to Import Records in that form it was only importing the last record of the 100 I built out. As I mentioned in the first post, if I imported the file from the Tools UI, it would import all of the records but then none of my picklists were setup for some of the fields in that form type. I ended up deleting the form_record_id column from the exported csv and after that all of the records would import into the form while also maintaining all of my picklists.

Thanks!

October 7, 2020 at 2:38 AM #42184

Brendan
    Keymaster

When you have the form_record_id column in the CSV file, Tap Forms will attempt to update existing records in the form from whence those records came. Even if you chose to import them into a different form or have Tap Forms create a new form. It’s because those IDs are unique to the source form.

October 7, 2020 at 8:11 AM #42192

Dante Knapp
    Participant

That makes sense, but how does app treat the data when that column is blank? In my case I had the column, but there were no existing records when I exported the CSV so that column of the spreadsheet was empty.

October 7, 2020 at 12:34 PM #42193

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ah ok. If there’s no value and you import, it should just insert new records into the selected form.

October 7, 2020 at 12:48 PM #42197

Dante Knapp
    Participant

And that is what I was expecting, but it would only insert one new record into the selected form and it was consistently the last record in the imported csv. Any idea why it was omitting the other records in the imported csv? Again this was only the case for importing records to an existing form type, if I imported the CSV file via the Tools UI, it would create a new form entirely with all of the records but then I would need to go and assign all the picklists again in that new form.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.