How to simulate nested pick lists

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

robinsiebler
    Participant

It seems nested pick lists are not implemented, so what I want to do is probably impossible. But, maybe someone has a reasonable workaround…

I want to create a Packing Program (‘cuz my wife doesn’t like the one I always use and *paid money for*). :(

I envision something like this:

Categories:
    ….Accessories
    ……..coats
    ……..jackets
    ……..hats
    ……..shoes
    …………dress shoes
    …………tennis shoes
    …………hiking boots
    ……………
    ……..gloves
    ……..misc.
    ….Clothes
    ….Gadets
    ….Toiletries

How can I create something like this?

Also, I had to substitute periods for spacing because this forum would not honor the spacing I so carefully arranged in my post!

July 7, 2021 at 9:52 AM #44737

Daniel Leu
    Participant
    July 7, 2021 at 10:54 AM #44739

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

You could just use the pick list with the ancestors printed breadcrumb style, for example:

Accessories
    Accessories > Coats
    Accessories > Jackets
    Accessories > Shoes
    Accessories > Shoes > Dress Shoes

I think at the current moment for this sort of use case that’s likely the easiest path forward.

You can use backticks or the ‘code’ button to get preformatted text.

July 7, 2021 at 5:32 PM #44743

robinsiebler
    Participant

I downloaded Vehicle-Data.tff, but I get an error when I try to open it:

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    July 8, 2021 at 1:28 AM #44751

Brendan
    Keymaster

Since that’s a .tff file, use the Import Form Template command in the File menu to import it into Tap Forms.

July 8, 2021 at 2:05 AM #44754

robinsiebler
    Participant

Thanks for the breadcrumbs idea! I was able to take my Shopping List database and modify it for a Packing List and incorporate the breadcrumb idea! Now, I just have to add the bajillion items I want in it!

July 8, 2021 at 10:01 AM #44757

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

You can bulk import to the pick list or if you already have much of the structure defined you could use a form field as a source and import data into the form with a field per layer of your tree.

Attaching a form template with up to 9 layers to show how scripting can be used to build it. Import the template, fill in some values and then in the pick list setting set it up with the use values from field option (see screenshot). As you do each layer, you can duplicate the record and update the value you need to change. Should make data entry a little less error prone. Trees are rather unwieldily to deal with unfortunately.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    July 8, 2021 at 11:08 AM #44763

robinsiebler
    Participant

Awesome! You rock!

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.