How to remove added zero in front of 12 digit UPC codes

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms How to remove added zero in front of 12 digit UPC codes

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

als
    Participant

Hi,

We use Tap Forms to help with our warehouse management. Our products have both 12 and 13 digit barcodes. When we scan our items with 12 digits (about 90% of our items), Tap Forms automatically adds a zero to the beginning of the barcode. To bring up the record in tap forms, we have to go into the field and delete the leading zero.

Is there a way to solve this? Ideally, if i scan a 12 digit barcode it shows just those 12 digits. I tried adding a zero in front of all 12 digit barcodes on the CSV file before I did the import t Tap Forms, however the zero does not stay as a leading character in CSV files once you save and import.

Thanks in advance.

April 22, 2013 at 11:15 PM #6152

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Als,

Tap Forms simply puts in the value you scan. I checked the barcode scanning library code that I use and it’s getting that extra 0 from the code. It’s possible that it’s interpreting the code as an EAN13 code instead of a UPC 12 code and so that’s why it’s padding it with an extra 0 on the left.

I’ll see if there’s anything I can do about that, but I’m just using a 3rd party scanning library called Zbar. In fact, if you go to the App Store and search for Zbar and try the scan with that app, you can see it also prefixes a 0 to the left.

Thanks,

Brendan

April 22, 2013 at 11:31 PM #6153

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Als,

Ok, I’ve figured out what I needed to do. I needed to explicitly support UPC-A codes. Otherwise it was interpreting them as EAN13 codes and automatically prefixing a leading 0 to the scanned number. I’ve changed it now, so it will recognize UPC-A codes now which will contain 12 digits.

Thanks,

Brendan

April 24, 2013 at 10:22 PM #6157

als
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

Thanks so much for looking into this and finding a fix. I really appreciate it. Is there something I have to do to enable it on my side or will it be enabled in the next update?

Thanks again, Brendan. This app has been so useful in helping with our warehouse management.

Jason

April 25, 2013 at 8:37 AM #6160

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Jason,

You’ll have to wait for the next update as I had to modify my code to support it.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.