How to group correctly

Tagged: ,

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Yvette M
    Participant

Probably the easiest thing possible… but I can’t figure out the best way to do it.

I do errands for people. One of my errands, is returning items to a store for this person. I’m not sure why, and I don’t ask questions, but it’s enough that I’d like to keep it organized with a database.

Let’s say once a week she will give me an assignment. I will have to return a Barbie doll house, a remote control car, and a LOL house. She pays me $40 per item. So, for this assignment I made $120 and the date was 12/15/22 when this was assigned.

Then the week of Dec. 22, 22 she had me return one Barbie doll house and a LOL house for $80.

I want to record where I returned each item, date returned, and a copy of the receipt.

When I get asked about my assignments, she will usually refer to the group of items as a whole but then want the info about each individual item.

So, I’d like to be able to group the returns based upon the date she gave me the assignment and I can keep track of that group as the group I made $120 on, but would like to be able to keep track of each item separately so I can log where I returned, date, etc…

Does this make since?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Yvette

January 1, 2023 at 8:14 PM #48548

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Yvette,

There’s a couple ways you could go about this.

Since Tap Forms can’t actually group records by date directly (other than Month and Year when the First Sort Field is set to a Date field), you could add a Calculation field which returns the date you returned an item, as some text that represents the date. You can do this using the formula:

DATE(Return Date; "yyyy-MM-dd")

Set the Return Type on the Formula Editor to Text for this to work.

Then you can have Tap Forms group your records by that Calculation field.

So what you would end up with is a list of records sectioned by the date you returned the set of items.

Another way to do it would be to create two forms. One for the day (or Return Event) and another for the list of Items Returned.

Then you can link the forms together with a One to Many Link to Form field.

You would create a Return Event record, then add the Items Returned that you had returned for that Return Event.

It really depends on how you want to be able to view and manage your records and what other kinds of information you want to store along with the Return Events or Items returned.

Hope that gives you an idea of which direction you could take this in.

It’s a perfect use case for Tap Forms though.

Thanks!

Brendan

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Brendan.
Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.