how much space does couchdb consume?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

john cesta
    Participant

I’ve come to realize that to really use tapforms effectively I will need to get away from icloud.

I don’t have a server or anything like that just my mac book pro.

How much space does couchdb consume?

Thanks

December 24, 2020 at 9:23 AM #42965

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

The app itself is 100MB and the data is proportional to your database size. It’s roughly 1:1 but not quite, sometimes more and sometimes less. My Purchases document is 11.7GB on disk for Tap Forms and CouchDB reports it’s using 7.8GB of space. I used to run it all off an old iMac but personally moved over to a Linux box a few years back. It also has a log file that sometimes grows as all log files do but you can nuke it if it gets out of control.

December 24, 2020 at 10:57 AM #42967

john cesta
    Participant

Thanks Sam. Well I experimented with the NEARBY sync. I thought, it’s only me and perhaps nearby is all I need.

I have my iphone, ipad and ipad mini and mac book

I mean I am thinking maybe I don’t need to sync to the cloud when I’m out and have it ready when I come home.

I don’t really use that much anyway. A new client here and there, a todo here and there. create a new project etc.

So from experimenting with NEARBY it seems as though I can set it up on all devices and add data to each one and they will all sort out the syncing eventually.

Or is there some sort of order of things like I don’t think I need a “main brain” like a server or anything like that.

December 24, 2020 at 8:04 PM #42970

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi John,

I would recommend setting up Nearby as a star configuration. That is, you have your Mac as the “source of truth” and it has your other devices listed on the Nearby Sync screen. But your other devices have ONLY the Mac listed.

December 24, 2020 at 11:05 PM #42977

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

+1 to star configuration for Nearby Sync. Do be aware when you do this you need Tap Forms to be running on the hub device (probably the MacBook because iOS terminates TF readily) for the sync to work.

In a sense this is how CouchDB is working, the replication protocol is identical except that CouchDB is bidirectional where as Nearby Sync only “pulls” changes. In part the reason for avoiding everything cross-communicating is that you set up races between different devices to pull data and it complicates conflict resolution plus increasing the chance you make a stale edit.

December 25, 2020 at 6:49 AM #42978

john cesta
    Participant

OK, everything seems to be good except in the course of it I decided to remove the passwords and on the MAC I apparently forgot the password.

Is there a way to reset the password?

Forum: Yes John there is. Search the forum.

John: Oh yea, there it is. Thanks! Fixed

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.