How do you calculate between records

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Mark Lyon
    Participant

I like this program. Seems like a good Bento replacement. So, How can I achieve the following:

I’ve got a gasoline database with fields for: date, gallons, odometer, mileage

Then individual records for:
    Monday’s date, gallons, odometer, mileage
    Tuesday’s date, gallons, odometer, mileage
    Wednesday’s date, gallons, odometer, mileage

To enter Tuesday’s mileage, I must subtract Monday’s odometer from Tuesday’s odometer. How can I do this? Formulas work only for individual records. I had the same problem with Bento. Never found an answer. Maybe I don’t have the right concept.

TIA

October 18, 2014 at 3:36 PM #11152

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Mark,

Tap Forms doesn’t have access to other records from within a Calculation field. So this sort of calculation won’t work unfortunately. But I have been asked about it a few times before, so it may come in a future update. No timeline on that though.

You can do calculations across records, but those are aggregate calculations such as Total, Average, Minimum, or Maximum. You set that up using the Calculation Type property of your numeric fields.

Thanks,

Brendan

October 18, 2014 at 3:40 PM #11153

Mark Lyon
    Participant

Thanks, Brendan.

I thought I read somewhere Tap Forms could do this. One of the reasons I was excited to get the app. But, okay. No way to access unique record id in a formula. I used Filemaker for a long while but it’s more than I need–expect for this single function.

ciao,
    Mark

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.