Hitting return in a text field?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

C F
    Participant

I have figured out that if I want a return while entering text into a text field I need to hit “option + return”, but why? Why does is return a select all command? When typing in text and I het return on reflex (selecting all the text) my next keystroke deletes everything I have typed. Really frustrating and counter intuitive. Can this setting be changed? Thanks.

December 3, 2015 at 2:20 PM #15393

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi C,

Yes, you can change this by switching your Text fields to be Note fields instead. Text fields are generally for one-line bits of text whereas Note fields are designed for full rich text, including being able to enter carriage returns like normal.

Thanks!

Brendan

December 3, 2015 at 3:15 PM #15395

C F
    Participant

As always, you’ve got an answer for everything ;-)

Can I change a text field to a note and not damage/lose the content? Having already imported large blocks of Description as a text field, if I globally change that Description text field to a note will I lose the imported text? If so, how do I migrate it to a note field (I have over 700 records so one by one is not really an option).

Also, can you change both the default formatting and lined paper appearance of notes? Thanks.

December 3, 2015 at 6:29 PM #15397

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi C,

Yes, just change the Text field’s Field Type property to Note and you’re done. No data loss. Internally Tap Forms stores Text and Note field data in a similar way, although when you start adding rich text formatting to the Note field, that will not translate back to a Text field because Text fields can’t store rich text.

There’s no function for changing the lined paper appearance of the Note field popup window. You can change the fonts of text within the Note field though. Tap Forms will remember the last font you selected so when you create new notes it will use that style. There’s no function for changing the font of a Note field globally across all records though.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.