Highlight the new duplicated record

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Jiayi Liu
    Participant

Hi Brendan, would it be an easy patch you could quickly work into the next release that highlights or labels the new duplicated record so that the user can easily tell the new record apart from the original one to avoid some data missing problems under certain syncing scenarios? Currently when a record is duplicated, the new record still shares the same name as the old one (because of the Sort Settings, which is understandable). However, since the user is not able to tell them apart, I believe this has caused some syncing problems with my use case that forms and fields sometimes go missing, as my data is synced across multiple devices with different edits made in both the original and the duplicated records and then synced to Cloudant in different orders. One idea of highlighting I have is to keep a “new” label displayed at the duplicated record in the list view until that new record is interacted with.

Thanks! And great app by the way!

July 31, 2020 at 10:38 AM #41580

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Jiayi,

Tap Forms does automatically select the newly record when you duplicate a record. But modifying the content of a field to indicate a field is a duplicate could be problematic. Which field do I modify? What if your first field is a photo or a checkmark or a Note field? Do I just tack “Copy” onto the end of whatever the first text based field I find is? What if there are no text based fields in the form and it’s all checkmarks and numbers?

So basically right now all I can do is duplicate the record and automatically select the newly duplicated record for you.

Thanks,

Brendan

July 31, 2020 at 11:33 AM #41583

Jiayi Liu
    Participant

Thanks for the quick reply, Brendan! It’s good to know that currently the new one is selected when the record is duplicated.

So by “having a ‘new’ label”, I meant a gif or png icon that shows up at the entry in the list, which shouldn’t require any modification to field values and is more related to the state of a particular “UITableViewCell”, correct? Sorry for the confusion.

July 31, 2020 at 6:23 PM #41584

T.L. Ford
    Participant

You could add a Date Created or Date Modified field type and be certain which is most recent, even if you accidentally click on another record before realizing you made a duplicate.

August 2, 2020 at 9:23 PM #41585

Jiayi Liu
    Participant

That sounds like a good workaround. Thank you!

August 2, 2020 at 11:50 PM #41586

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

I put Date Created and Modified on almost all of my forms because I use created date for sorting a lot of use cases where I create records contemporaneously and then modified for bubbling up documents that have been edited recently. The modified stuff is useful when working with multiple devices because then you can quickly jump to a recently changed record after sync.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.