Help with creating a relationship between two forms

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Help with creating a relationship between two forms

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Yvette M
    Participant

Can you give me a suggestion on how to manage the following please?

If I am storing data for items on receipts and each item requires its own page(record), how can I record the receipt # easiest on each page so that the items can be grouped accordingly?

I know I can make a field type be set as text and manually type in the receipt # for each item(on each form, , but the receipt #s are usually long.

It would be ideal if there was a lookup list somehow where I enter the receipt # once and then for the next item, when I get to attribute titled receipt #, I can click on a drop down list that is updated after each new receipt # entry.

I am not sure it that was or is possible, but seems like it would be easiest.

I think my answer is creating a relationship between two forms:
    #1. A receipt form which has the attribute: receipt #.
    #2. A receipt line item form where all details are stored of each item.

If this is correct, then what form is child/ parent? Would it be one to many or many to many? And would I create #1 form first stating receipt # as a linked field somehow?

Could I then create #3 form which is a receipt return # form just like above where its main attribute is the receipt #. That #3 form can link both to the receipt item form showing a relationship somehow of the item being returned and its receipt it was bought on.

I would totally appreciate detailed instructions on these questions.

Thanks for your time!

Yvette

August 22, 2015 at 11:59 AM #14495

Yvette M
    Participant

Can anyone help?

August 22, 2015 at 11:07 PM #14496

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Yvette,

Sorry I didn’t respond. I was hoping someone else would chime in too :-) The “detailed instructions on these questions” threw me off a bit because I don’t really have time to provide detailed instructions on how to do all that you need.

If you know what your receipt numbers are going to be in advance then you can always pre-configure them using a Pick List and then just pick the correct one. The Pick List popover also contains a search field so you can search for the one you need too.

If the receipt numbers will be sequential numbers then you can easily use a Number field with the Auto-Increment function turned on. That way every time you create a new receipt you’ll get a new incrementing number for your receipt # field.

I believe your Receipt would be the parent and a Receipt Items form would be the child. The Receipt would contain your Receipt #, a Date, perhaps a Name of the person the receipt was for, their Shipping Address, etc.

The Receipt Items form would contain the details about the items added to the receipt. Perhaps the name of the item, its cost, etc.

You would probably need a Many to Many Link To Form field from the Receipt form to the Receipt Items form. This is because multiple receipts would be able to link to the same Receipt Items.

I know it’s not a details set of instructions for setting this all up, but hopefully it gives you something to think about to help you create your forms.

Thanks,

Brendan

August 23, 2015 at 1:11 AM #14498

Yvette M
    Participant

I know you are busy. I was hoping for some advice that I understand you are too busy to give individually. Thanks for answering me though.

I really wish more people would share templates. Even the simple ones that use links, calculations, etc…
    They really help us newbies who are trying to learn.

Again thanks for your time!
    Yvette

August 23, 2015 at 1:55 AM #14499

Leo
    Participant

Hi Yvette,

I would give you an empty database of my setting, pretty much the same as you describe but it’s a bit complex and in dutch. I don’t want to share is public because I have further plans for it.

You can have it if you like but I’ll send it out only by mail….sorry Brendan (you’ve got it already :-))

just sent me your email…. leo.teunissen at gmail.com

August 23, 2015 at 12:02 PM #14503

Brendan
    Keymaster

Yvette,

There are a number of templates that customers have shared in the Template Exchange forum:

Tap Forms Template Exchange

There may be some with Link to Form fields in there.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.