Help creating linked forms with images

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

George Drohan
    Participant

Hello, and thanks.
    Long time Handbase user, wanting to try a new database style program and this one seems to be a good choice. I’m struggling to wrap my head around this issue of linking forms using Tap Form for the IPhone. What I am trying to do is have 2 separate forms. I will make the database simple for these examples. 1 – Master Inventory form and 2 – Rental form. The Master Inventory form contains the follow fields; Image, date purchase, actual purchase price. The Rental form should contain the follow fields; rental date, cost of rental, and a link to the master inventory excluding the actual purchase price

I’m having two issues, couple more than that but basically two. How to exclude fields when linking (if possible). Handbase allows you to group fields and only transfer those in a group. Also I’m having trouble transferring and viewing the image between form records. In my basic terrible form I have written. I can get the information to the linked form but it is minus the visual image.

Basically. A database that has a Master warehouse furniture inventory and a 2nd database that uses some of the fields from the master inventory database to keep track of rentals. The rental database must include the image from the master database. Possible?

Sorry for confusions.

December 3, 2014 at 3:18 PM #12082

Leo
    Participant

Hi George,

I know HandBase and ThinkDB from the good old Palm days.

What you trying to accomplish is not possible with TapForms. I would like some of those features as well and I’m trying to convince Brendan to make it possible. I believe the structure isn’t prepared for this, yet.
    But I’m glad there is at least one person more who would like to have the ability to extract data from a linked form in separate fields.

We’ll just have to wait and keep our fingers crossed.

Leo

December 3, 2014 at 4:55 PM #12083

George Drohan
    Participant

Thanks for the response Leo. Dave’s handbase is great but the interface is a bit dated. Also I was using external popup lists(pick lists) that are huge 500+ entries for categories and style and it was a bit difficult to scroll thru all the entries (even though it does have a side “index”). It doesn’t seem that TF supports external pick list other than linking forms. But I read somewhere that TF has a better search.

So even if we can’t choose what fields we wish to view am I doing something wrong about not viewing the original image in the other form?

While I’m at it;
    1) The inclusion of the image file name as a real field name is helpful for me but I wouldn’t want to see it in a linked form.
    Using excel, I wrote a script that grabs the file name and opens and resizes the image in that spreadsheet based on the file name. It’s was a PIA but it was a way to get the image in spreadsheet as a macro.

2) as in my prior post I wish the manual was a bit more technical and up to date. I’m old school and like to have manuals.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.