HD / One way sync

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

PierreBn
    Participant

Hi,
    After the Mac and the iPhone versions, I just purchased Tap Forms for iPad. The enlarged iPhone version would have sufficed, but I like to support good software. Since iCloud sync now works (old topic on these forums), I love Tap Forms.

I just hope someday (Tap Forms 2?) you will receive enough feedback to finally implement automated 2-way sync. Frankly this “auto pull, manual push” thingy isn’t a feature to me. So, maybe one day a “set and forget” option?

Good luck for v2.0.

Pierre

November 24, 2013 at 12:17 PM #7817

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Pierre,

One thing that would have to be managed properly is when syncing occurs. Right now since it’s a manual process, the number of sync files Tap Forms generates is kept at the absolute minimum. That is, whenever you tap on the upload to iCloud button, Tap Forms generates a file which contains all the changes since the last time you tapped that button if there were any changes at all. If I auto-generate these sync files after every change you make, the number of files generated would just grow and grow. Each file at a minimum takes about 25 KB. That’s even with just a simple small change. The reason for that is each file is actually a mini copy of the main TapForms_db.sqlite database file (excluding the search index). So what to do with the massive number of sync files that would be generated is something that I have to think about.

I also don’t want to generate sync files for every row of a CSV file import, but to delay generation until after a file has been imported.

I’m sure there are many more situations that I have to figure out before I can enable full auto-sync. Some other apps that do auto-sync aren’t actually handling quite as much data as Tap Forms is, so it’s easier for them I believe.

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.