Great idea ;-)

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Chris Ju
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

have you ever considered implementing a small web server so that you can access TF databases through the web browser?

Thanks.
    Chris

July 2, 2019 at 1:20 AM #35611

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Chris,

There is a small web server built-in to Tap Forms for iOS. But it’s designed for transferring files back and forth. You need more than just a web server to do what you are asking about though. You need a proper web application server platform to be able to generate the dynamic HTML to serve up. I used to do that in a previous life before Tap Forms. I built web apps using Apple’s WebObjects platform. But it’s not something that I’m really interested in building in to Tap Forms though. There are other web database services out there. And FileMaker Pro does it too I believe.

Thanks,

Brendan

July 2, 2019 at 7:23 AM #35613

Chris Ju
    Participant

Hello Brandon,

I think that would be a great addition to your product. That would be a solution, for example, that you can not edit a database, but only fill. Second, a platform independent use would be possible.

You could offer this feature as a paid upgrade. That would be very useful especially for small offices.

Other solutions (for example FileMaker) are usually too complicated and too expensive for small offices.

You could definitely close a gap there.

Thanks
    Chris

July 3, 2019 at 6:50 PM #35622

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

With a CouchDB server and a JavaScript frontend, I think someone could actually make this work. I’ve been toying with this on and off for a while but never had the time to finish it off. I started off building a PHP web app frontend but decided that if I could figure out how to join it direct to CouchDB in JS then that’d work better.

December 31, 2019 at 4:47 AM #39040

Chris Ju
    Participant

You need a proper web application server platform to be able to generate the dynamic HTML to serve up

Could Nextcloud be a possible plattform?

Thanks!
    Chris

December 31, 2019 at 1:04 PM #39042

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

CouchDB can host everything you need already, it has a built in web server with authentication capabilities and can sync with TapForms. Look up CouchApps as a process, it’s much like what Lotus Notes used to provide (all of these sorts of document stores feel like Notes). In theory you could leverage the CBL replication endpoint in TapForms but that’s read-only.

The challenge is more finding someone with the time and skill to re-implement all of TapForms in Javascript in a cost effective manner.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.