Global Variables

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Wolfgang
    Participant

I need global variable fields, one for Notes and one for Photo, where I enter something only once and the notes text and the image appears in all data records of my form created. As soon as I add or change something in the global fields, the text or the photo should be updated in all records.

(I also need such a global variable for a calculation (inside a table), where a fixed value is used in a calculation field.)

April 14, 2020 at 10:01 AM #40311

Daniel Leu
    Participant

Here is something I’m working on: https://api.danielleu.com/public/tf5/v1/files/configHandler-v1.js

I use a form where I store variables that can be used by different forms and their scripts. To use it in a calculation field, you would need to add a field script that just returns the global variable. Then in your calculation, you can reference this field.

No idea about what and how to go about your wanted usage of variable in Notes and Photos. This might be something for a form script.

April 14, 2020 at 11:12 AM #40312

Brendan
    Keymaster

If you’re on macOS, then a custom layout will let you do that. You can insert a text block and an image box and no matter what record you’re viewing, you’ll see the same text and image. The text tool and the image tool are at the top-right of the layout inspector panel.

April 15, 2020 at 1:31 AM #40331

Wolfgang
    Participant

Thank you Daniel,
    I will have a deep look at your script.
    On the other hand, I expressed myself somewhat misleadingly … it sounds you think of the Apple Apps “Notes and Photos” I wrote about but with Notes and Photo I mean the field types “notes” and “photo” Tap Forms offer…

April 15, 2020 at 1:54 AM #40332

Wolfgang
    Participant

Thank you Brendan,
    a very good idea. OK, I tried to see my global items also on my default layout, but this would be a helpful way to enter or display fixed data.
    My own 3rd possibility (besides yours and Daniel’s) is the relation to another form (called “templates”) and by choosing and retrieving the record dates.
    My fourth option (!) Is to integrate a document using the field type “documents”, in which all data, ie the photo and the notes, are located. In both cases I can even include additional records or documents with other information.
    Neither a real replacement for variables to display in a layout or other cases. But there are always interesting ways to do things. Nevertheless, I actually thought that global variables were a helpful tool, especially also for calculations etc.. My idea for a wish list.
    Thanks a lot!

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.