global field?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Lane Robinson
    Participant

I was looking for a way I can create an invoice from a saved search of ad work orders. Since there doesn’t appear to be a way to ask for record from a Saved Search of a Form, only the entire set of records in the form, I then tried a linked form Join to match two different fields, not just one, to get the set of records I need into an invoice. Which I also can’t do. In simple terms, I need to match for the client *and* for the issue of a ‘magazine’ and get only those ad work order records.

I have a way that can work, but isn’t, um, in my face enough to make sure I don’t choose incorrectly. I’m auto entering an issue number by setting that field’s default value in the fields tab. So when I create a new invoice, the issue number is entered automatically based on that default. Together with the client ID number I can get the correct set of records from the ad work orders Form. This can work because we tend to invoice a batch invoices for the same issue at the same sitting. But we do sometimes do more than one issue at a sitting. There can be errors made if someone forgets to go into the Forms Fields and change the default entry to the correct issue number. People actually doing the invoice have discomfort with going into the Fields tab for the form, and I’d probably rather didn’t go in there either!

To avoid errors with this, I was hoping there could be a way to have what I’ll call global field (sort of like a global variable) that is big and bright and above everything else that displays the issue number we are working in. We change that, and we could write a script that uses that field to auto enter the issue number on to the invoice. This is basically what we have with our previous <!–voldemort pro–> database.

Another way may be to create a new layout that has this field at the top in large red type, but could we set such a field to not print?

We do this not just with invoices, but actually even more so with reports. I mention the invoice example as that’s the place we can make errors that are more embarrassing. :) Whatever advice can be offered is welcome and appreciated.

December 4, 2022 at 6:51 PM #48418

Brendan
    Keymaster

Evenen though the Join Link Type allows you to have only one field for the join, you can add a Calculation or Script field to join two other fields together, so then you could use that as the Join field. As long as you had the same kind of field concatenating the two fields on the other side of the join.

There’s no function to NOT print a specific field on a custom layout. But you can have multiple layouts, one for data entry that does have the field and another for printing purposes that doesn’t include said field.

December 4, 2022 at 6:54 PM #48419

Lane Robinson
    Participant

Something I thought of after I posted this was to put a field outside the printable area for an invoice. That may be, um, goofy? But it might help.

I already do use a calculation to make a compound field for another purpose. I shall explore that. Thank you!

December 4, 2022 at 11:46 PM #48424

Daniel Leu
    Participant

In your regular form, just hide these helper fields so they don’t confuse you. Maybe put them into their own section (eg, ‘layout invoice’). Then in the custom layout, you can use them as needed. That’s what I regularly do.

December 5, 2022 at 7:11 AM #48429

Lane Robinson
    Participant

Thanks!

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.