Formatting Forms?

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

BrianW
    Participant

New Tap Forms user. Mac 10.7.5. Really like the potential I see with TF.

Creating my first form to be a customer info database for my business, but I don’t see any way to format the layout of the form so that it’s not just one very tall/long list of fields with everything either far left or far right in individual rows.

For example, can the form detail view be made into two columns and assign fields accordingly? If not, is there at least a way to have the small icon (as just one more example) for “Select from pick list” be immediately beside the field name I’ve assigned it to instead of WAY over to the far right on my monitor? And any other such formatting options that may exist…

Also, as I don’t have much experience with creating forms or database work, are there any other suggestions for creating or setting up the fields for a good contact manager that I may not be aware of? I’ve added fields relevant to my specific business (a web hosting and web design company), but realize I’m likely not aware of certain things that could make such a form more useful. I do plan on getting the iPhone and iPad versions too so that I can sync the data and always have it available to me.

And can Tap Forms users share templates with each other? If so, I probably wouldn’t have to be trying to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks.

August 17, 2013 at 10:26 AM #6464

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Brian,

I’m working on a new layout engine, but it’s not complete yet and I don’t know exactly when it will be available. I still have lots of work to do on it. With this you will be able to create multiple layouts and move them wherever you like on the page.

As for what fields to add for your specific business, I’m not really sure what would be best for that. Take a look at all the field types when you’re adding a new field and select the best ones which are appropriate for your use case.

Yes, Tap Forms can share form templates. Under the File menu there’s an “Export Form Template…” command. It will create a file with a .tff file extension which you can email to another Tap Forms user (either iOS or Mac) and they can import it and have the form you’ve setup, including pick list values and any linked forms. So if you have linked forms, just export the top-most level form and it will automatically include all linked forms.

Thanks!

Brendan

August 22, 2013 at 8:19 AM #6502

BrianW
    Participant

Thanks Brendan, I’m definitely looking forward to a new layout engine that will allow for better design and layout of the forms.

I realize I should have been more specific regarding asking for suggestions or advice for certain fields in my contact manager that would pertain to my business. I got a little lazy and just fell back on “I don’t know what I don’t know, so somebody help me” :-)

Thanks too for pointing out that templates can be shared. I found these sites:

http://tftemplates.apptappers.com

http://www.seankorzdorfer.com/open_notebook/tap%20forms%20database%20examples.html

but there’s not much there.

Thanks.
    Brian White

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.