Fixing Result Type requires document close/reopen

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Fixing Result Type requires document close/reopen

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Mike Schwartz
    Participant

Brendan,

I came across this repeatable glitch while playing around with calculation fields:

1) Create a calculation field with a conditional formula that should yield at text result, such as IF([number_field]>10, “abc”,”xyz”).
    2) NEGLECT to set the Result Type to “Text”, leave it mistakenly set to “Number”. Click Save and exit the Form sidebar. I seem to make this mistake a lot. ;¬(
    3) Oops, the calculation field is showing the number zero instead of “abc” or “xyz”.
    4) Go back to the calculation field definition and set the Result Type to “Text”, as it should be.
    5) Save and exit the Form sidebar.

==> The calculation field still shows the number zero instead of a text string. And changing the value in the referenced number field doesn’t jump-start the calculation field to show the expected string result.
    ==> If I close the database document and then reopen it, then the calculation field shows the correct value. (I’m guessing that quit/restart would also work.)

Can you reproduce this?

Thanks,
    Mike

May 7, 2017 at 7:02 PM #22980

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ya I’ll have to put in a trigger for that change. Tap Forms will recalculate if you make a change to the formula. Even putting in a space character anywhere in it will do.

Alternatively you could click the refresh button at the bottom of the records list view to trigger the recalculation too.

May 7, 2017 at 8:32 PM #22981

Mike Schwartz
    Participant

Those are great tips. Thanks!

May 7, 2017 at 10:04 PM #22986

Brendan
    Keymaster

Also I just fixed this issue in the latest update which was released tonight.

Really quick turnaround from Apple tonight. 30 minutes after submission to go into review. 7 minutes in review, then approved.

So now Tap Forms will refresh the calculations if all you do is change the Result Type.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.