First iCloud Sync only carried one form

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Charles Kouns
    Participant

I just bought Tap Forms 5 Version 5.2.1 (Build 1698) for my macbook pro and Tap Forms v 5.2 (731) for my iphone 6S. Following installation on my iphone, it automatically did a sync. My two categories showed up as well as 1 form of 8 in one category and 0 forms from the other category (4 forms in it on my macbook pro). These are all former Bento libraries that I transferred over to Tap Forms. The one form it did import from my macbook pro is an older version that does not reflect changes made the day before I bought Tap F0rms for iphone.

I also went into Preferences on my macbook pro and enabled iCloud sync

So now I have one out of 12 forms on my iphone, and it is outdated.

I went through the videos, but only saw a video for Cloudant.

Also, I read there is a sync button you can now put on the toolbar but it does not appear in my customize toolbar under view. Perhaps it is coming in a new update?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Charlie

September 29, 2017 at 10:15 AM #24977

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Charlie,

Yes, that Sync button is a beta version feature right now. It’ll be coming out in the next update.

I would recommend watching the What’s new in Tap Forms 5.1 video at the top of this page:

https://vimeo.com/channels/tapformsmac5/page:1

It shows you how to setup iCloud sync.

However, I’m a bit confused about this:

The one form it did import from my macbook pro is an older version that does not reflect changes made the day before I bought Tap F0rms for iphone.

I’m not sure how it could sync an older version of your form. Are you perhaps talking about a different document that it synced? Documents in Tap Forms are the files that display on the main Database Documents window. The list of forms are the things you see in the My Forms list once you open up a database document.

So if you’re syncing a document, it couldn’t sync an older version of a form that’s within that document you’re syncing. That’s why I’m a bit confused as to what is actually happening. Sorry about that.

Thanks,

Brendan

September 29, 2017 at 12:10 PM #24982

Charles Kouns
    Participant

OK Now I am really confused too! I know why the form that has the old data is being synced. It is because it is listed in the Tap Forms Documents window as a Document (not sure how that happened) — and not my overall document that I have now created that has 2 categories and 12 forms.

The document that contains all of my categories and forms is called BFS GUEST. If I click the + to add a new document to the Tap Forms Window and type in BFS GUEST, it opens a brand new document with no forms. It does not pick up my BFS GUEST categories and forms. So I have no idea how to do that. I get that once I open the document I can set up the sync for that document, but why won’t it pick up what I have already created?

I am adding a screen shots of the document window.

So to be clear the Document I want to sync with is called BFS GUEST. It contains 2 categories and 12 Records.

One last thing – I don’t know how this got the name of BFS Guest — can I change it?

My mission in life is to never have to write another post here! But for now, I gotta keep going. Syncing is very important. So glad you put it in the last update.

Best

Charlie

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    September 29, 2017 at 2:51 PM #24984

Charles Kouns
    Participant

Here is a screenshot of my document window

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    September 29, 2017 at 4:39 PM #24986

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Charles,

Well, from your Database Documents window, it shows the filename as BFS Guests List.

So clicking the [+] button there on the main Database Documents window and typing in BFS GUEST will give you a new document with that name because there’s no naming conflict (BFS Guests List vs BFS GUEST) So that makes sense. And when you create a new document you get a database with no forms or records within it.

Your other screenshot shows a document called BFS GUEST as far as I can see, but it’s cut off, so I don’t know what the rest says.

And you have 5 categories in that document including the Uncategorized category.

From what I can see you have 13 forms in there too. And each form contains many records. The numbers to the right of the form name tell you how many records are in each form.

If you have a document on the main Database Documents window, to open it up, just double-click on it. You don’t add forms to it by clicking the [+] button there. You do that by first opening up that document then clicking the [+] button next to the All/My Forms popup button.

To rename a document, first close it. Then on the main Database Documents window, click the (i) button. That’ll display the Document Properties panel on the right. It will slide out. Click the Edit button, then type in a new name, then click the Save button.

These documents are also just files in the Finder, so you can click on the Show in Finder button at the bottom of the main Database Documents window and see it in the Finder. You can rename it there too if you want. But please make sure you’ve closed the document before renaming it.

Hope that clears some more things up.

Thanks!

Brendan

September 29, 2017 at 6:49 PM #24987

Charles Kouns
    Participant

Hi

I took the forms (yes there were 13 – I need to learn to count!) in the BFS Guest List and archived all 13 of them.

I then created a New Document called CK’s Docs (Bad title I know but it works for me) and imported all 13 files. So now I have a new doc with all of my forms within it.

I then went to preferences within CK’s Docs and enabled iCloud Sync. It immediately began syncing. There are about 563 records to sync. My iphone and my macbook pro are on the same router, but now after two hours nothing has happened on my iphone. The old doc is still there on my phone and at the bottom of CK’s Docs it shows a wheel spinning. So I am wondering if it is just taking a super long time, or there is a problem?

I also saw quite easily how to change the name of the document.. thank you. I looked it up in the online manual but the search did not produce any results that were helpful.

Should I wait until morning to see what has happened? Can I cancel a sync and try again if I have done something wrong in this process? Thanks for hanging in there with me.

Charlie

September 29, 2017 at 10:09 PM #24988

Brendan
    Keymaster

If you see the Sync Sending… Sync Receiving… notices at the bottom of the window, just let it finish. Depending on how big your document is, how many attachments you have, it could take a while to complete. Check back on it tomorrow.

You should eventually see the placeholder document appear on your iPhone.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.