File Attachment and Alias Issue

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Sameer Khera
    Participant

I am moving from Bento to TF and there is one feature which I used a lot in Bento does not seem to be available in TF. It is about the way the “File Attachment” field works in TF.
    I want to be able to find a music file on my Mac, do a ‘Show File in Finder’ option, find the file and drag the file to the “File Attachment” Field to create the file alias.
    Once the file alias is created, I want to be able to click on the file and press space bar to open the file which is native to Mac.

How do I do this ?

Sameer

December 3, 2017 at 11:00 PM #26445

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Sameer,

When you drag a file to the File Attachment field in the Finder, Tap Forms adds it as an attachment, not as an alias. You have to use the arrow with + button to attach a file as an alias.

When a file is attached as an attachment, it’s copied into the database as a blob file. To view it you can double-click on it. But what happens is Tap Forms downloads that file to your /tmp directory and then uses whatever app it belongs to, to view it. If you make changes to the file outside of Tap Forms, Tap Forms re-saves the changed file into the database.

I know that normally the space is used for viewing files in the Finder with QuickLook. I haven’t implemented that on the File Attachment field directly yet.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.