Feature Request: FIND text function

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Mike Schwartz
    Participant

Brendan,

Please consider adding a FIND function like the one in Excel:

FIND(find_text,within_text,start_num), which returns the numeric position of the found text.

I was thinking about a solution/workaround to Jose’s use case in another thread (Pick Lists Request). I had suggested that he create a set of pick list values that start with a short code followed by a verbose description, and then to shorten his column width in multi-column view to display only the initial short codes. He responded that his short codes would be varying lengths, meaning that the display wouldn’t look clean. I suppose he could pad out the shorter short codes with spaces, but I was thinking of a different approach.

That approach would be to use a calculation field to return just the initial CODE portion of the lengthy CODE_space_dash_space_VerboseDescription field. Easy to do with the SUBSTR function, assuming that you know the position of the “dash”. Hence the notion of adding a FIND function.

I think it would have a lot of general utility for string manipulations. I’m not at all advocating this as an alternative to Jose’s request; just something else to think about adding.

Thanks,
    Mike

October 8, 2017 at 8:12 PM #25265

Brendan
    Keymaster

That sounds like a POS(STR1, STR2) function. Returns the position of STR2 within STR1.

October 8, 2017 at 8:23 PM #25267

Mike Schwartz
    Participant

Close enough! Same thing only without the third parameter. Is the POS(STR1,STR2) function implemented in Tap Forms? I don’t see it in the Functions list of the Edit Formula sheet.

Thanks,
    Mike

October 8, 2017 at 8:35 PM #25272

Brendan
    Keymaster

Nope. Not implemented. But your request just reminded me of that from the old BASIC language.

October 8, 2017 at 8:53 PM #25273

Brendan
    Keymaster

POS(Str1, Str2) be in the next update. It will return the location of Str2 within Str1.

October 9, 2017 at 8:36 AM #25283

Mike Schwartz
    Participant

Sounds great! Thanks!

October 9, 2017 at 11:50 AM #25293

Brendan
    Keymaster

I also added LEFT(X, Y) and RIGHT(X,Y) functions to return the Y number of characters from the string X from the left or right of the string.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.