Extract Text from Table

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Mike Mullin
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve got a Table with two columns. One with a Text Field and one with a Number Field. I’m useing a Calculation Formula to extract the values. The number is easy to extract (just add “Number” to the Formula area) but when I add the Text Field the Formula states “COUNT( Table::Text Field )” and the result is “1” (which makes sense BTW). I’ve tried “VALUE( Table::Text Field )” (with Result Type:Text) but unfortunately this did’n work. Does anybody know if it’s even possible to extract text from a table?

Mike

July 1, 2018 at 5:02 PM #29742

Brendan
    Keymaster

No, it’s not possible yet to extract non-aggregated data from a Table field.

But in Tap Forms 5.3 I’m adding a new JavaScript engine which would let you pick out any row of a Table field and get any of the values you like.

Thanks!

Brendan

July 2, 2018 at 2:58 AM #29749

Mike Mullin
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

That sounds like a great update!

In the meanwhile I tried a work-around which turned out another Table related issue which you could maybe look into.

When I import a number value related to a Calculation into a Table I cannot change the value of the number in the table (as you can do with a link to a normal Number Field). It would be great to be able to overrule the Calculation and fill in my own value.

I’m just curious, when are you planning to launch Tap Forms 5.3 ?

Best,

Mike

July 2, 2018 at 12:07 PM #29753

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Mike,

Well that wouldn’t really work anyway to be able to override a Calculation field value because as soon as you make a change to any of the fields the Calculation field’s formula references, the Calculation field would get updated and replaced.

I had hoped to release 5.3 relatively soon, but then I decided to hold off until Mojave and iOS 12 are out so that I can be ready on release day with full support for those OS level updates.

July 2, 2018 at 2:08 PM #29754

Mike Mullin
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

In my case a Calculation is only made once and the reference fields aren’t changed afterwards but I get your point. Being able to extract text from a Table will solve my problem so I’m happy to wait for the next update.

BTW you’re doing a great job with Tap Forms 5 and the new update comming up. I’ve looked into TF a couple years ago but couldn’t get my project management and invoice template working the way I wanted it. I went for Ninox back then but I just can’t get used to the looks of their interface. I recently had a look into FT again and found out some shortcomings were solved with TF5 so I rebuild the template again. Your Default Layout already looks way better and today I’ve created some custom layouts and they look stunning. Keep up the good work!

Best,

Mike

July 2, 2018 at 7:08 PM #29757

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Mike,

Welcome back to Tap Forms! Although they’ve done some great things in Ninox, I do feel their UI is quite odd and not very “Mac like”. I’m not sure what they use to program it, but it feels like they might be using some cross platform system. Not sure. Tap Forms is all Mac, all iOS.

I’m also working on some AppleScript support too. Just the basics for now. Mostly for being able to execute a custom JavaScript built inside Tap Forms to be executed from an external AppleScript. It’s going to be really great.

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.