Encryption Key Prompt

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

captain-chris
    Participant

I have been using Tap Forms for Mac for about a week with great success. This morning when I launched the application I was prompted for an encryption key. I’ve read other posts describing similar behavior on the iPhone version, but not the Mac version.

I have not turned encryption on and assume from the other posts that something didn’t exit gracefully the last time I used the app. Help is appreciated as I’m at a standstill at the moment!

Thanks!

June 3, 2013 at 8:44 PM #6240

captain-chris
    Participant

Solved –

Not entirely sure why this worked, but I deleted the tapforms.sql file, did a clean install of the S/W and the problem was resolved. I will have to restore the data in the database which is no big deal, but I would like a better understanding of why the DB file was corrupted.

June 4, 2013 at 9:26 PM #6242

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Chris,

If you could send me a copy of the failed database, I would like to examine it.

Thanks,

Brendan

October 24, 2013 at 7:33 AM #7015

BrianW
    Participant

The same thing that captain-chris reported just happened to me. OS 10.7.5. No iPhone app involved.

I had to do a hard reboot yesterday, TapForms was open but not the active app at the time of the reboot.

I opened TapForms today and up came the Encryption Key field, although I hadn’t ever turned that on.

Using PathFinder and Spotlight I searched my computer for a file called tapforms.sql, but I don’t have one.

Fortunately my database didn’t include a lot of data yet, but I have spent a lot of time getting it to the point where it was, and it’s not extremely urgent that I get this repaired/resolved immediately. Brendan, if you want me to email you a file, please let me know where it is located.

Thanks.

October 24, 2013 at 10:40 PM #7016

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Brian,

The file is called TapForms_db.sqlite

It’s located in ~/Library/Containers/com.tapforms.mac/Data/Documents

Thanks!

Brendan

January 17, 2014 at 3:00 AM #8771

GerritB
    Participant

Hi all,
    is it possible to post the solution here? Because we got the same problem.

January 17, 2014 at 3:24 AM #8774

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Gerrit,

Is it an individual form that you can’t access or the entire app? If it’s the entire app, do you have a backup somewhere that you can restore to?

Thanks,

Brendan

January 22, 2014 at 4:08 AM #8856

GerritB
    Participant

Brendan,sorry for the delay…
    it is the entire app, and we have a backup form every day.
    But the problem is that we need to remove the app and we lose the data from that day.

kind regards,
    Gerrit

January 22, 2014 at 3:50 PM #8859

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Gerrit,

You will need to use iTunes File Sharing to copy the backup file to your computer and then re-install Tap Forms. And then use iTunes File Sharing again to put the backup files back to where they were and then restore using the Backup & Restore function in Tap Forms.

Let me know if that works for you.

Thanks,

Brendan

January 23, 2014 at 3:59 PM #8868

RicD
    Participant

Hi Brendan,
    Would you please provide the steps to use iTunes File Sharing. At present I backup to Dropbox and a folder on my computer.

How do I switch from those two to iTunes and back?

Cordially,
    RicD

January 23, 2014 at 5:03 PM #8871

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Ric,

iTunes File Sharing is just a way to get your backup file to your computer directly. If you’re already uploading your backups to Dropbox, then Dropbox is already syncing those files to your Mac. However, to get to iTunes File Sharing, you can do this:

1. Plug your device into your computer.
    2. Launch iTunes.
    3. Click the device under the Devices list.
    4. Click on the Apps button at the top of the screen.
    5. Scroll down to the File Sharing area.
    6. Locate Tap Forms.
    7. Click on Tap Forms.
    8. You’ll see Tap Forms Documents on the right.
    9. Now drag the backup files you see there to your desktop and put them away somewhere. Backup files begin with TF and end with .zip.

Hope that helps!

Brendan

January 23, 2014 at 5:55 PM #8872

RicD
    Participant

Hi Brendan,
    That is good information, thank you much appreciated. From your previous post I thought there was something I was missing about the backup, and that I should be also use iTunes. However from your instructions I take it that my Dropbox backup is all I need to maintain. Sound good to me.

Those instructions will go in my Tap Forms notes. Again, thank you.

Cordially,

RicD

June 24, 2016 at 1:22 AM #17540

tandra thomas
    Participant

My app doesn’t seem to work correctly. I have every updated version of the iPhone, but when I open the forms, most of my information is missing. Now it asks for an encryption code and I have no idea what that is. Please help! And will I get my lost information back?

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.