Do you want the font style?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author

Tuncay Tasci
    Participant

Font styles unnecessary in the memo field of all problems stem from here.
    (They already deleted while export CSV).

You made a vote. If a vote would be good for everyone:
    “Do you want the font style?”

unnecessary for me!..

August 16, 2016 at 2:57 PM #18713

Frances Cherman
    Participant

I absolutely want the font styles! They are one of the things that separates TapForms from other data collection apps. I use them to structure the information under hierarchical headings. I also absolutely LOVE the fact that you can paste a selection of text (and images!) from the Web directly into a TapForms “note” field, and it will retain all of its original formatting (if you want it to; otherwise, you can paste it as plain text).

August 19, 2016 at 12:56 AM #18809

Chris Ward
    Participant

The solution then, is to have an option to show or hide styles in note fields :-)

August 19, 2016 at 2:18 AM #18812

Leo
    Participant

Yes, I need the font style because of the invoices and reports I send over to my costumers. A report or invoice in a specific font with a notefield in system font looks like ….

If you don’t need fonts you just simply don’t use them.

August 19, 2016 at 7:43 AM #18819

Walter Johnson
    Participant

Maybe there is something I’m missing, but when I don’t care about text formatting I don’t use the “Note” field type and just make it a “Text” field type. You will also loose the ability to have embedded tabs if you switch to a text field, so that could be an issue.

August 19, 2016 at 12:18 PM #18832

Alexander Wolff
    Participant

I would appreciate a funktion that overrides the individual styles in the mac version.
    When i create a specific form that requires i.e. A white font i can format all fields according to a black background but the notes field contains its individual styles. So i have to change every contend individual. Thats not real convinient.
    ( i’ve created an LCARS-form for my library just for fun and every field is looking fine. Only the description of the books is mostly in black instead white and i have to change everything by hand)

August 19, 2016 at 3:14 PM #18842

Frances Cherman
    Participant

Alexander, You can’t set the background for the entire note, but you can shorcut the formatting process by saving your white-on-black style as a “Favorite.” Here’s how to do that.

Place your cursor in the text that you have just formatted as white text with a black background.

Click the “Paragraph style” menu on the far left of the formatting bar.

Paragraph style menu

Choose “Show Styles”

Show styles

The Style dialog will appear, showing the formatting of the current paragraph. Click the button “Add to favorites.”

It will ask you to give the style a name – say, “White-on-Black” for instance.

Style name

If you want to include the actual font and other formatting, check those boxes, too.

Now, when you write a note, choose that style from the “Paragraph Styles” menu, and type away.

Select your new style

Voilá!

The note content shown in the custom layout.

Of course, you have to be sure to apply it to the entire note, so it might make sense to apply it after you’re done writing.

August 19, 2016 at 8:04 PM #18848

Brendan
    Keymaster

I’ve been wanting to add a function to set the font settings for a Note field across all the records. The problem is the Note field stores what’s called an NSAttributedString. What that is, is a string object that contains formatting within it. So when a Note field is viewed, it reads both the formatting and the text within it. To make a global change to the field across all records, I have to load in every value for that field in every record, then strip out the font information that’s currently in the value, then add the new font, size, colour, style, etc. to the entirety of the value and then re-save every record. This also has the side effect of updating the Date Modified value of every record this is applied to.

What would you think if there was a function to do that? Maybe it could be an added setting in the Advanced Find & Replace window when you select a Note field there?

August 20, 2016 at 6:50 AM #18863

Tuncay Tasci
    Participant

Next time you’ll encounter more problems in.

This program “Word Processor” should not be considered.

If you want style in the memo field, an area open “.rtf” or “.doc” documents will they be lifted import problem…

August 21, 2016 at 7:19 PM #18937

Tuncay Tasci
    Participant

Suggestion – Request
    (Attachment)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    August 21, 2016 at 10:07 PM #18941

Robert Marko
    Participant

+1 fantastic idea!

I also don’t mind if record modified dates get changed en-masse.

August 22, 2016 at 12:45 AM #18945

Alexander Wolff
    Participant

Hello Frances,
    thanks for your kind advise and the work you have done to show how. But unfortunately this isn´t the problem. Perhaps my english isn´t well enough.
    I work with small databases since MS Works 4 and later with Claris Works. As for almost every field in TapForms i can set its properties i.E. “Arial, 12 pt, white, bold”. Except the “bigger notes”-field for it has its own properties that cannot be overridden.
    So if i do some extravagant stuff beside black font on white background i have to change all “bigger notes”-fields by hand. Im don´t like wasting time with such stuff for i know that the next forms design with the same data has to fit with only this kind of field.

Brandon got it right and i highly appreciate a possibility (a radio-button for original or global settings i.E.) to change the notes appearance across the whole form.

Best regards and again thanks for your advice (the styles settings are mostly overseen although they are essential for text-workers. I always ran against the walls of the fortress of ignorance if i try to show colleagues how to use them)

A. Wolff

August 23, 2016 at 5:46 AM #18991

Andreas Knott
    Participant

yes

August 23, 2016 at 6:47 PM #19022

Frances Cherman
    Participant

Walter Johnson wrote:

You will also loose the ability to have embedded tabs if you switch to a text field, so that could be an issue.

Walter what do you mean by “embedded tabs.” In the “Note” field? If so, that sounds marvelous. How do I do it?

August 24, 2016 at 8:00 AM #19032

Tuncay Tasci
    Participant

This program is a database application.
    If you want any “field” to apply bold, and font-size.

However, the “Note” style when applied in the field, the database file grows up and runs slowly.

This program “word processor” is not.

Problems continued…

See: Attachment

Attachments:
    August 24, 2016 at 3:13 PM #19049

Frances Cherman
    Participant

Can anyone explain what Walter meant about “embedded tabs” in the Note field? Brendan?

August 24, 2016 at 4:07 PM #19050

Alexander Wolff
    Participant

I assume he meant tab-stops that get lost when the field is converted to simple Text.
    Regards,
    Alex

August 24, 2016 at 4:48 PM #19052

Alexander Wolff
    Participant

I think he mean this: see image attached

Attachments:
    August 24, 2016 at 9:27 PM #19055

Tyson Schoeber
    Participant

Brenden’s idea of making a way to update the font and size of all the note fields could be useful at times. However, I would prefer to have LONGER Text Fields that can display and print more than one paragraph. This is for times when I have more than a line or two to write and want the printout to look the same as the rest of the document. Currently, you can enter more than one paragraph in Text Fields but the program will only print the first paragraph.

The Note Field ends up changing the printed appearance of the text in reports — unless I fidget with the settings, and that slows me down. If it were available, I would use LONGER PLAIN TEXT FIELDS like this all the time! As a teacher, I use TapForms in various ways, including to keep track of observations about my students.

August 25, 2016 at 3:10 PM #19065

Frances Cherman
    Participant

Ah, I get it now. Thanks to both of you.

Viewing 16 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.