Custom Layout; Design for iPhone screen

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Dan Gleneck
    Participant

I just purchased Both TF5 for Mac (TF5-Mac) and TF5 for iOS (iPhone 6s). I am designing my first Form and Layout titled; “Craft Inventory / Warehouse”. In TF5-Mac, I am modifying the “Custom Layout” from your sample Form; “home inventory”.

On the TF5-Mac “Layout Designer”, I was trying to create a simple vertical form with scroll bars to use on the iPhone app version.

how to I specify; “Design for iPhone Screen”?
    What width (inches) should I use on the ruler?
    How do I add Scroll Bars?
    Do I use [File][Export][Tap Forms Archive] to move this layout to iPhone app version?

January 26, 2018 at 1:39 PM #27130

Brendan
    Keymaster

The iOS version displays the record details in a view that’s equivalent to the “Default Layout” on the Mac version. There’s no support for custom layouts on the iOS version yet. Sorry about that.

April 2, 2018 at 11:44 PM #28048

Hello Brendan,

any hope to let us customize IOS forms layouts some day ?

I was dreaming about some graphical interface engine (with picts, buttons, cursors, knobs, cute displays,aso) upon database to create sweet TapForms based apps… and why not a TF App store !

Regards
    Jean Christophe

April 3, 2018 at 12:37 AM #28049

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Jean Cristophe,

Some day sure. When? No idea. It’s a pretty big job. I know I’ve been asked about it by a lot of customers before and I feel bad that I haven’t worked on it yet. There’s always so many other small and medium sized feature requests to build that it keeps me from doing the big ones.

Thanks,

Brendan

April 3, 2018 at 1:20 PM #28058

Dan Gleneck
    Participant

We understand that it it a big programming job to allow FULL customization in iOs. Instead of doing a “big” job can you just start small with a few specific targeted features? for example;

using TF5 for Mac (TF5-Mac);

1) ability to set screen mode as “TPF-IOS” width. with different widths for the different ios devices; iPod, iPhone 6s, iPhone 7, etc.

2) allow two different page modes…
    1) scroll bars
    2) “[<<] Page 1, 2, 3 [>>]” simple flip page control, and allow fields to be added to any page, in any user-defined order.

3) allow each page to have a fixed background image

4) ability to move / rearrange the order of the fields within that “TPF-IOS” width.

5) ability to specify “display field type”.
    For example;
    a) on text field allow “barcode mode” where barcode scan control is default, with text entry secondary.
    b) on number field allow “keypad/Phone# mode” where a keypad is used as default, with text entry field secondary.
    c) on number field allow “scroll mode” where individual number can be increased [button] or decrease [button] is used as default (kind of like you current ios date entry), with text entry field secondary.
    d) In addition to your current checkmark control, allow some other boolean controls as default; yes/no buttons, true/false buttons, yes/no scroll list, true/false scroll list, etc.

What NOT to offer at this time;
    No ability to customize in “TPF-IOS”, can only customize in TF5 for Mac, using a limited set of you existing interface. That is, design on TF5 for Mac, but upload and use on “TPF-IOS”.

NO Specific placement of controls, (only allow customization; of the order of controls to be changed, and which page # they appear on)

NONE of the more advanced visual features; cursors, knobs, cute displays.

Maybe other people could specify one or two specific visual controls / ideas as to what they are looking for. Or maybe we could start a forum thread as to what specific ios display controls people are looking for.

April 3, 2018 at 2:51 PM #28059

Brendan
    Keymaster

That was my initial plan anyway. Design on Mac, publish on iOS the custom layouts. It’s still a big job. Plus all the additional things you requested just add to the amount of work. I would definitely start small and then grow it bit by bit.

October 28, 2021 at 10:14 AM #45594

Dan Gleneck
    Participant

Since I posted by previous post, for my more complex I have started to use html5 / web / cloud-based database applications. And have a new suggestion.

For “graphical interface engine” and for the “customize IOS forms layouts” — I recommend that you look into using HTML5 using apple’s WKWebview for iOS 8 and later.
    It would be easier than you having to create a complex custom gui generator. Embedding web into native apps is a frequent approach to quickly add content into a mobile app. It can be for a contact form but also for more complex content to quickly add a missing native feature.
    Html5 can also handle different size screens and layouts automatically.

I would also recommend that you build in twitters free “bootstrap 5” support: see https://www.w3schools.com/bootstrap5/ — Why bootstrap? To see some examples of the forms that you can generate with bootstrap visit https://bootsnipp.com/search?q=form

Adding WKWebview is a learning curve for you, but once implemented it would allow the end-user great flexibility and customization.

This is by no means a “simple” task, but I think it would be the most-bang-for-the-buck, especially considering the features it would instantly add. You could start by supporting just basic feature of field replacement, and add support for more advanced features {such as multiple database forms) in future releases.

I envision a multi step process.

a) user would use your app to “generate” a default html5 template for a database. This would generate a simple <ol><li>field_title:{{databasename.fieldname}}</li><ol> list of ALL fields that the database contains. App would add these “placeholders” for each and every field in the database. App would create a “default” .html5 and “default” css file and “default” .js file.

You would have to create “conventions” for field placeholders. You can look at angularjs, as it uses similar placeholders. I do not think that you should fully implement angularjs — as there is a steep learning curve. But the link https://docs.angularjs.org/tutorial/step_02 may be helpful to give you ideas if you decide to implement html5 forms.

b) if end user wants to customize form, they “download” a your “default” html5 template and corresponding .css and .js file and simply modify / customize the files. There are many FREE html5/bootstrap gui builders that end users could use. Once such example is https://www.layoutit.com/ . If they want something really fancy, they can hire an html5/bootstrap programmer to do it for them.

c) add a “upload” feature to save templates back into your app.

d) your app can then use these files to generate form using WKWebview. Not sure, but you may have to add a preprocessor to load the form. That is, your app would take the end-user’s .html5 template, search for “fieldnames”, and replace them with necessary code, save result as a temporary .html5 file, and then render the temporary .html5 file.

A similar process could also work for creating custom “reports”.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Brendan. Reason: Fixed an HTML tag issue causing a rendering issue for the post
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Brendan.
    October 28, 2021 at 12:58 PM #45598

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Dan,

All great ideas.

I really wanted to be able to use HTML to generate reports, but for some dumb reason WebKit doesn’t support headers and footers and I think it lacks the ability to do proper page breaks within tables.

Hope you don’t mind, but I edited your post to fix some HTML layout glitches.

October 29, 2021 at 12:22 AM #45604

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

I’ve been wondering about this on and off for a while, HTML and CSS still are pretty mediocre at multipage printing when using complex elements like tables. I’ve also wondered about alternative solutions and embedding but particularly for iOS some of that could end up heavier than the app itself (LaTeX being my own tool of choice paired with pandoc to support HTML or Markdown). I think a web browser based layout could work on iOS as a display layout system at least and perhaps the JSC work could easily be applied to a WKWebView. In theory you could use TF’s Nearby Sync with the existing web view that is loaded from the web site field to embed stuff but I haven’t been bored enough to figure out how to make it work.

In doing another search for stuff again, I came across Carbone which has an API that accepts documents, templates them and will hand back a PDF. It has a 100 doc free tier for their API renderer which might work as well as an open source version without a REST API. I’m wondering if the API version might work with TF via a script and time permitting this weekend I might give it a spin.

October 29, 2021 at 7:44 AM #45608

Daniel Leu
    Participant

Sam, but if you are without a network, this wouldn’t work, would it?

October 30, 2021 at 11:42 PM #45613

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

Yes, it’s an external service not embedded. To be honest I’ve not had much luck finding a decent embeddable library that isn’t orders of magnitude larger than TF on it’s own.

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.