Crashing on startup

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Dave Hodges
    Participant

Hi, I’m using Tapforms on mac and a few days ago it started to crash on startup. I have tried the direct download and also deleting and reinstalling but no success. Any ideas, I need to get the system back working. thanks

December 25, 2020 at 1:59 PM #42989

john cesta
    Participant

What did you add or do between the time it worked and didn’t work? Do you have rich text notes?

December 25, 2020 at 2:01 PM #42990

Dave Hodges
    Participant

I just added some new records. I do have rich text notes.

December 26, 2020 at 3:00 AM #42996

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Dave

Can you email me the crash log?

And if you can, a backup of your document and I’ll look into it for you.

Thanks

Brendan

December 28, 2020 at 5:46 AM #43002

T.L. Ford
    Participant

I have the same thing on my iPhone. I can’t do a crash log apparently (Old Mac OS, Doh!, and ditched my developer’s account). I’ve been trying for a couple weeks to nail down “when it happens” and for me, it seems to be: showing the table row navigator, for a table that has 100+ entries, some with photos (so fairly large), after adding a new entry and returning to the list, then swiping up to dismiss the app, then… using other apps briefly, over around 6+ hours (I think), with a few incoming text messages, i.e. enough to truly sleep-push the app into the background where iOS has to temporarily move it out of memory to make room for other things (also… iOS has to think I’m done messing with it for a long time – it seems to be caching for efficiency and is able to easily pull it up if it hasn’t been a long time). Just “loading other data-intense apps and mucking around”, without the 6+ hours, does not cause the crash.

There’s a significant hang/pause showing the Tap Forms logo just before the crash, as it tries to connect to the db and load the list.

I have the latest version. Background App Refresh is on, as well as Siri, Camera, all photos. Calendars/Reminders is off. I included as much random info as I could – I know most is unrelated to the problem.

Just restarting it makes it fine and I have not seen any data loss.

December 28, 2020 at 2:48 PM #43005

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi TL,

Hmm… well that’s a tough one to debug if waiting 6+ hours between launches.

I’m not sure what would cause the delay in launching. Possibly attempting to connect to iCloud to get the current list of synced documents.

December 28, 2020 at 6:21 PM #43007

T.L. Ford
    Participant

Yeah – I had a hard time remembering “which screen did I last leave it on”, and it also “felt like” it needed the random incoming texts during the “off” time (weird and likely unrelated). Tenaciously challenging to find a “this is the problem”. I tried multiple times to force it to crash by opening many other things. If you have a way to remotely grab the crash report via the device id, I’m happy to help. If it delays on the logo screen, it crashes. No delay; no crash.

January 7, 2021 at 4:48 AM #43100

Dave Hodges
    Participant

Hi Brendan, just wondering if you had any joy with the crash log I sent. A bit of additional information for you, it only seems to be crashing on Macbooks with Big Surr installed. I have an iMac and Mini and all continues to work on them, including the sync.
    Any ideas on the Macbooks would be great as we use them in the field.
    Cheers.

January 8, 2021 at 9:40 PM #43123

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Dave,

Hmm… I seem to have misplaced the crash log. Can you send it to me again please? And the backup?

Sorry about that.

Brendan

January 9, 2021 at 1:46 AM #43126

Dave Hodges
    Participant

Hey Brendan, sorry my fault I sent it to the noreply email. What’s the best email to send to and where would I find the bcakup on a Mac to send you?
    Thanks Dave

January 9, 2021 at 1:48 AM #43128

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Dave,

Send it to support@tapforms.com (you can always get to it from the Help menu too).

Make the backup using the Backup command in the File menu.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.