Can I create a 'fat' list

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

John Harris
    Participant

My question concerns the multi-column list view in Tapforms. It seems that it displays only as a thin list (one record per line). I would like to show text blocks as a list.
    In fileMaker it is possible to format fields and then display them in a list. For example, i could format a field at say 500 W x 170 and show the found set as a ‘fat’ list.
    Those familiar with Filemaker would know how this works.

Is there any way this can be done in TF?

With best regards – John

March 6, 2017 at 12:55 AM #21381

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi John,

The multi-column list view is a pretty fixed size component. One thing I don’t really have in Tap Forms is the ability to do much customization of the list view, but I’d like to add some for a future update.

Thanks,

Brendan

March 7, 2017 at 12:25 PM #21393

Mike Schwartz
    Participant

To throw my two cents in, I think it would be better to leave the multi-column view alone as your “spreadsheet view” and add a “view as list” option to custom layouts. If it suits my purpose I could create a layout that’s an inch tall, include a few key fields, and maybe place a line object beneath them to serve as a visual separator. Then if I enable “view as list”, the screen would show multiple records at a time and scroll through all of them. Printouts would work the same way, listing multiple records per page and ensuring that it doesn’t chop a record in half at the bottom of the page.

To extend the functionality, you could add summary layout sections above and below the primary record layout that only appear when grouping is selected, to present info that appears once for each new group. For example, a Section Heading could appear at the top of each new group, and a subtotal calculation below each group.

March 7, 2017 at 12:32 PM #21394

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Mike,

That’s exactly what I want to do. But it will be primarily for printing as opposed to editing the contents of the data in that format. I was planning on having a 4th option next to the “Design For” property of the Layout object. Right now there’s Screen, Printer, and Labels. I want to add another “Report” option which will essentially give you what you get with the Labels option, but to be able to specify headers and footers and groupings, etc. But to see the real effects of it you would need to use the Print command just like with labels.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.