calculations problems

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

enver
    Participant

Hi,
    I can’t seem to use calculation fields for further calculations as they do not appear in the formula box. The second problem concerns calculations containing brackets: if I enter a bracket into the formula box, the first numbers field from the list of available fields is entered in the box and the bracket has disappeared.
    Am I doing something wrong?
    Thanks for any help,
    enver

May 18, 2013 at 10:43 AM #6203

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Enver,

I haven’t implemented the ability to use calculation fields inside other calculation field formulas.

The main reason for this is best demonstrated by the following example:

A = B + C
    C = A + D

A can’t be computed until C is. But then C can’t be computed until A is computed. A classic chicken and egg situation.

Which version of the app are you using? IOS or Mac?

Thanks,

Brendan

May 18, 2013 at 12:11 PM #6204

enver
    Participant

Hi Brendan,
    thank you for your reply. I’m using the Mac version of the app.
    In my case, my calculation goes as follows:
    A + B = C
    (D * 2) + C = E
    I can do this with Bento, even with MS Word.

Best regards,
    enver

May 21, 2013 at 12:18 AM #6208

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Enver,

It’s just something that I need to take care of to prevent getting into a bad situation. What happens in those programs if you try to create a circular reference?

Thanks,

Brendan

May 23, 2013 at 10:48 AM #6213

enver
    Participant

Hello Brendan,

as I never encountered the problem of a circular reference this item never struck me as being problematic, so I never worried about it. I have been working with aforementioned programs for years and nothing bad happened to my calculations.

Regards
    enver

May 25, 2013 at 8:59 AM #6223

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Enver,

It’s just something that I would need to ensure doesn’t happen in the program otherwise it would create an infinite loop and cause the app to crash. So as a programmer, I have to worry about it and come up with a possible solution. I’m sure there is a good solution to this problem. I just haven’t had the time to investigate it yet.

This is a popular feature request, so it’s definitely on my radar.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.