Calculation Not Calculating, Unless I Edit? Default Field Value Not Enough?

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Calculation Not Calculating, Unless I Edit? Default Field Value Not Enough?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

beagley
    Participant

Should Calculation fields calculate once all fields referenced in the calculation have a value?

For my Sessions database, I have numeric fields named “Charged”, “Paid”, and “Due”. The Due field is a calculation of [Charged] – [Paid].

Pretty straightforward. I enter a Charged value, and a Paid value, and the Due value shows up. Great! It works. And since I have the Due field set as the Calculation field for this form, and since the form is linked to as “One to Many” from a client database, I can quickly see a total of all the owed amounts from a client. Neat.

But sometimes it does not work.

Sometimes, I create a new session, and enter how much was CHARGED. Nothing has been paid yet, so I don’t enter anything in the Paid field. I leave it blank.

The “Due” field remains blank. It doesn’t calculate.

Why? I am guessed because there is no value in the Paid field. So, I went and customized the form and make the Paid field have a default value of 0. Ta-da! That works, and when I create a new session the $0.00 shows up nicely.

I create a new record, I enter a Charged value, and… still no luck. The Due field remains blank.

Why now? I am guessing it is because calculation fields aren’t filled until some data has been entered and SAVED into all referenced fields, and just having a default value entered is not good enough?

Typical Questions: Am I totally misunderstanding this, is there a workaround or a different way to do this that anyone can think of, or is this a bug, or is this a good item for the TapForms feature wish list? :-)

Regards,

-Douglas

p.s.

This site has the best captcha of all time.

August 27, 2012 at 7:46 PM #5294

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Douglas,

That sounds like a bug to me. Can you send me a copy of your form? Go to the Edit Form screen, then tap the action menu button, then tap “Email Form” and send it to support@tapforms.com

Thanks!

Brendan

August 27, 2012 at 8:07 PM #5296

beagley
    Participant

Sent.

I’d love to hear if this is about it not working with any value, or not working with a default value, etc.

As additional information, I also fill out the “Charged” field with a pick list… perhaps calculations don’t like values entered via pick list?

-D

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.