Bug? Oneway editing of Contacts

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Lateral
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

I just noticed that if you edit a Contact record in Tapforms and then view it in the native Iphone Contacts App, you can see the changes fine.

If you edit a Contact record that is linked to Tapforms in the native Iphone Contacts App and then view it in Tapforms, the changes are not there.

Regards
    Greg

February 2, 2013 at 3:48 PM #5905

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Greg,

If you change the first name or last name outside of Tap Forms, then it won’t get reflected inside Tap Forms. But other data should work fine. It’s possible it’s just caching the data inside Tap Forms. If you force-quit Tap Forms then re-launch it, do you see the changes then? Just curious.

Thanks,

Brendan

February 2, 2013 at 11:09 PM #5907

Lateral
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

No, exiting Tapforms does not refresh the data.

It looks as though you are storing a copy of the Iphone Contact record in a temporary database and that that is the database that is being referenced, not the Iphone Contact database.

Regards
    Greg

February 4, 2013 at 2:09 AM #5910

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Greg,

Well, I’m definitely not storing a copy of the iPhone Contact database. The only thing I am storing is the first and last name and the record ID.

It seems that the OS is just aggressively caching the person object in memory. If you force-quit Tap Forms and go back into it and look at your contact again, it should have the changes in it that you made outside the app.

Thanks,

Brendan

February 4, 2013 at 1:23 PM #5913

Lateral
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

I tried another test and added some more text to an existing Notes field on a Contact record via the Iphone Contacts App whilst Tapforms was up and the changes were not reflected in Tapforms. I then exited and re-entered Tapforms and the change was not there. I did this multiple times.

I then powered the Iphone off and on and the change appeared in Tapforms.

I’m running 6.1 of the IOS.

Regards
    Greg

February 4, 2013 at 6:50 PM #5914

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Greg,

When you say you exited Tap Forms, did you just press the Home button and re-launch it? Or did you use the multi-tasking dock to force-quit Tap Forms? That’s all you should need to do. You shouldn’t need to reboot the phone.

Thanks,

Brendan

February 4, 2013 at 7:48 PM #5915

Lateral
    Participant

Hi Brendan

I used the HOME button to exit Tapforms.

Regards
    Greg

February 4, 2013 at 9:40 PM #5916

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Greg,

Double-click the Home button, tap-and-hold on Tap Forms, tap on the red button that appears when the icons start to wiggle. That will force-quit Tap Forms.

However, aside from all that, apparently an app needs to listen to external changes that happen to the Contacts database. So I have added the code to properly handle external changes. Now you can edit the contact outside of Tap Forms and it will show the changes immediately inside Tap Forms.

Thanks for reporting this issue. It will be available in my next update.

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.