Bluetooth sync or beaming

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

LeoC2
    Participant

I and others have asked this before but I’d like to know if any progress has been made.

I recently had a situation in the field with no wifi access and a very weak 4G signal, so weak that TapForms would not sync over an iPad hotspot. As a result none of our units synced and I had to manually look at each and write down results, a royal PAIN! TF was essentially useless.

So the question is… is syncing directly between devices over Bluetooth on the nearby horizon? I would think that if TF is able to beam a single record over Bluetooth it could be made to sync also.

Also, what about beaming all records instead of just one when using Bluetooth beaming? At least all records could be sent to one device for analysis by a database program! Redundant records can be dealt with by the database program.

Leo

July 14, 2015 at 2:18 AM #14219

Brendan
    Keymaster

I’m working on migrating the Tap Forms database engine over to Couchbase. One of the features of Couchbase is Wifi peer-to-peer syncing. So it’s in the works, but it’s going to be a while. It’s a HUGE undertaking. Probably the biggest change I’ve ever made to Tap Forms in 8 years. Hopefully you won’t notice. It’s mostly all behind the scenes stuff.

July 14, 2015 at 7:07 AM #14225

LeoC2
    Participant

Sounds great Brendan… CAN’T WAIT!! It will open up a whole new world.

July 14, 2015 at 7:05 PM #14235

Matt
    Participant

Will this allow sync from different icloud accounts or different devices that are not on the same icloud account? If so that would be fantastic.

Is there any way currently to sync across different devices that are not using the same icloud account?

July 16, 2015 at 1:14 AM #14240

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Matt,

You can’t sync to different accounts because it’s the account that holds the data. An account can only see its own data. But the new thing I’m talking about is not iCloud. It’s a separate thing altogether. It may be possible with Couchbase to allow a user to share data with other users on different accounts though. It’s something I’ll have to investigate once I’ve got something working.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.