Beginner question – mail merge and more

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Beginner question – mail merge and more

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

evan reynolds
    Participant

I am a new user of TF and evaluating the trial version.  I have completed the CRM exercise (my current use case), and have some questions.

1) I learned how to do a custom layout with variable fields.  I could edit that to be an email that can be automatically customized for the records (clients) I pick.  Can I, also, do an actual mail merge, so that I can use html emails?

2) I would like to have it create the emails for all qualified records.  I’m sure that’s easy to do in TF, but I’d appreciate a pointer as to how.

3) In my current use case, I have a series of decision points where the path breaks, such as: a) Invite them to a meeting (which includes several emails).  b) Did they attend (if so, they go down one path, if not, a different path — each with an email sequence).  c) etc….  How do I use TF to trigger a shift to each path, and the subsequent emails?

4) And, following #3, can I schedule actions (like phone calls, emails, reports, etc.) to occur automatically depending upon where they are in the paths?

I’m not asking anyone to do these for me.  I’d like to know if any of these are doable with TF and, if so, perhaps point me in the direction of how to do them.

Thanks!

April 21, 2024 at 10:20 PM #50705

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Evan,

Sorry for missing this. Your message got caught up in the forum spam filter. Not sure why.

1. You can do a mail merge if you add a static text object to your custom layout. Then type in the field names surrounded by square brackets. For example:

Dear [First Name] [Last Name],

It is of utmost importance that you pay your bill totalling [Bill Total] or we will have to charge you an interest rate of [Interest Rate]

Then when you use the Print function, the values in the field placeholders will be substituted with the values from those specific fields for the printed record(s).

2. Tap Forms doesn’t actually send out emails, but you can have it create an email in Apple Mail that’s addressed to a bunch of people in your records in your form. Use the Email Selected Addresses function under the Edit menu for that.

3. There’s no automated workflow functions built-in to Tap Forms, but if you’re good at JavaScript, or willing to learn, you can program Tap Forms to do all kinds of things. You can have it trigger a script when the value in a field changes for example. Your script would execute and maybe it would insert another record into a linked form or have it change the value of another field or read in a file or do any number of things you’d like it to do.

4. There’s no function to trigger scripts to run at specific times, but as mentioned above, you can trigger a script to run when the value of a field in your form is changed. So maybe you can do something with that.

See this page for information on scripting in Tap Forms:

https://www.tapforms.com/help-mac/5.3/en/topic/scripts

Thanks!

Brendan

(and sorry for your post getting marked as spam).

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.