Automatic Numbering of Records- HELP!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Ilene
    Participant

I am recording inventory for each individual outfit that my company sews, with info about the outfit, photos, prices etc.

I have already established 83 records of one form that I developed for this inventory.. I hope I’m using the right terminology. The first entry is a photo because I thought I’d like to sort them all by photos, but now with so many, it’s obvious I need to give them an ID #.

I’d like them to be automatically numbered as I choose a new record, so that each form will have a unique number which was given to it and its in sequence with the previous number.

I haven’t a clue how to do this. I’ve tried a few things, but they didn’t work. If I have to make a brand new form and import my records into that now it’s the time before I have any more!!!

Please help.
    Ilene

August 19, 2013 at 6:25 PM #6481

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Ilene,

Well, first of all you’ll have to add a Number field to your form for your ID. In the Field Options screen for that Number field, you’ll find some options for auto-increment and a starting number and an increment amount. Once you’ve added that field to your form, every new record you create after that will auto-increment.

However, since you’ve already added 83 records, you’ll have to just manually type in the numbers for those records. From then on, any new records will take on the next number in the sequence.

I hope that helps.

Brendan

August 20, 2013 at 1:10 AM #6486

Belinda
    Participant

hi ilene!

take a look at yout database.
    add a numeric field.
    fill in the numbers from 1 to 83 in your datas.
    then go to the presettings of your database
    go to fiield properties
    click the checkbox for automatic increase
    next “increasing factor” “1”
    and set standard value to 84!

Good luck!

PS: i´m from austria.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.