Autofill one field based on another field

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Autofill one field based on another field

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Martin Koss
    Participant

I have a form for tasks that contains a ‘Project’ field which is a select / pick list of projects in another form / list. The Projects list has a ‘Customer’ field that is entered (selected from a list) when creating the Project.

The objective is that all Tasks are associated with a Project and, therefore, associated with a Custoemr.

So, when adding a Task, a Project is selected and I would like the ‘Customer’ field to autofil using the ‘Customer’ field of the selected Project.

I’m sure this is possible but can you provide a bit of guidance please?

Thanks.

Martin

July 30, 2018 at 6:13 PM #30153

Brendan
    Keymaster

There’s no function to copy the value from a field based upon selecting a Link to Form record from another form. Although if you use a Table field you can have Tap Forms copy the values from fields in a linked form’s selected records. The fields it copies are based on which field names in the Table field match the field names in the linked form. That option is set on the Table field properties.

August 1, 2018 at 6:11 AM #30165

Mike Mullin
    Participant

Hi Martin,

I’ve had a similar issue when I was creating my project management template. I’ve found a solution which might come in handy for you.

In my case I have a “Project” form which links to an “Appointments” form (one to many). For each appointment I want to add billable tasks (could be multiple tasks for one appointment) so I’ve created a “Completed Tasks” form. The “Appointments” form has a link to the “Completed Tasks” form (one to many). Although the “Completed Tasks” form is linked to the “Appointments” form which is linked to the “Project” form, the “Completed Tasks” form is not related to the “Projects” form. Because I want to see the related completed tasks in the Project form I came up with this solution:

– In the “Appointments” form I created a Calculation which “extracts” the “Project Name” field from the “Project” form.
    – In the “Completed Tasks” form I created a Calculation which “extracts” the “Project Name” from the Calculation in the “Appointments” form.
    – In the “Project” form I created a “Link to Form” field and linked it to the “Completed Tasks” form (Show Inverse Relationship is optional as the Project Name is already shown in the “Completed Tasks” form via the Calculation from the “Appointments” form). I selected Link Type: Join, Values from this form’s Field: Project Name, mach values from linked Field: Calculation.

I’ve added a Tap Forms Archive which you might want to check out to make this more clear.

To have it work properly it’s important I add a new Completed Task by clicking the + sign on the “Link to Form” table in the “Appointments” form.

@Brendan: Often the Calculation (to display the Project Name) for the “Completed Tasks” form isn’t done at once and I have to hit “Refresh Record List” to have the Project Name displayed. Not a major issue but you might want to look into it.

Best,

Mike

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.