Apparently Limited Import

• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

wdrspens
    Participant

I am trying to import a .csv file into TapForms using the import function. There are some 76 records to import into one form and some 130 records to import into the other form, but TapForms will only import 12 and 13 records respectively. Any suggestion about how to overcome this problem other than importing several multiples of 12 or 13 records?

February 27, 2011 at 5:03 PM #4480

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello,

Normally when importing doesn’t load the entire file it’s due to a difference between the file encoding that Tap Forms expects and the encoding of the file itself. Do you know what the file encoding of your CSV file is? If you exported from a PC using Excel then most likely it’s Windows Latin 1. So if you tell Tap Forms to use Windows Latin 1 encoding then that will allow your import to proceed. If it was saved on a Mac, then try Mac OS Roman encoding.

Thanks,

Brendan

February 27, 2011 at 5:16 PM #4481

harringg
    Participant

Are you importing from Files (2nd button from right on Dock) or from within the Form itself? Form>Button on top right>Import Records

I just created an empty Form on my iPhone, Exported, downloaded to my laptop, updated the records in Excel and re-imported using from within the Form and was able to pull in 35 records with no issues.

Also make sure your CSV file is formatted properly. I had exported from Excel 2011 for Mac and got some extra characters that were affecting import (I eventually cleaned it up in a Text Editor), but exporting from Excel 2004 for Mac was fine.

My guess is it might be something with your CSV file.

Verizon iPhone4

iOS Version 4.2.6

Edit: Too slow on the draw. See Brendan’s reply. :-)

May 20, 2011 at 7:07 PM #4607

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just to give some added imput.

I had an Access DB that has a table with 1800+ records with each record having 42 fields. I opened the needed table in Excell 2007 and saved it as a CSV with UTF-8 encoding and uploaded it to Dropbox. On the iPad I made sure I didn’t have any other apps running in the background, launched Tap Forms HD, created a new form and downloaded and then imported it the CSV. It took more than ten minutes to complete the import.

The only hitch was that I didn’t turn off auto-lock. It completed the import but when I unlocked the iPad the app crashed. Though all the data was there when I re-opend the app. SO turn OFF auto-lock when importing larger record numbers.

Additionally I was able to manipulated fields and their order without any crashes.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.